Macro Express Forums

Lock-up, latest upgrade implicated?

I updated MX Pro to 4.0.6.1 last night and today have had several severe 'lock-ups'. When running a frequently used macro with my video editor program, it hung and I was unable to close either the video editor or MX Pro with any of my usual methods. Worse, XP Task Mgr was glacially slow so that it took several minutes before I was able to forcibly terminate MX Pro.

Obviously, it's early days and I haven't done any methodical testing, but it looks as if the update has broken something.

Anyone else seeing similar behaviour please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry

I have not had that problem on my desktop since upgrading. If it were me, I would reinstall the version that was running and see if anything happens. And when doing so, always put a check in that "install if older"(?) box in "advanced installation".

Prior to installing any upgrade from anybody, anywhere is to create a Windows Restore point. This helps if something goes bad.

Thanks both.

I've so far failed to reproduce the issue, so maybe it will turn out to be unrelated to the upgrade. I have very occasionally had the same sort of stubborn lockup in the past with previous versions. ('Molasses' or, over here, 'treacle' describes it well, Cory.) And this particular application, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro, is itself rather quirky. Bizarrely, some macros refuse to start until about 15 seconds have elapsed after MMEP has loaded and is otherwise ready to use. It was probably within that strange 'dead zone' that the lockup occurred yesterday.

If I get to the stage at which the upgrade is more obviously suspected, then I'll try your suggestion, Joe, thanks.

Am not 100% certain of the changes that were made to MXPro, but whatever was changed since the release of 4.5.0.1 last December(?) seems to have resolved the molasses/treacle issue. Have not experienced it for a while.

I had a crash with the new update this morning. But then I had flawless performance the rest of the day.

In fact, my most unreliable scripts felt more solid today, including those that use weird combinations of Text Type + Clipboard commands + string variable manipulations.

The jury is out on whether this morning's crash (and Terry's treacly experience) are related to the update. My guess: no.

I'm beginning to veer slightly towards a guilty verdict, as I've had two more crashes today possibly implicating MXPro. The last did not even coincide with running a macro. Win XP Explorer started misbehaving (I couldn't open a particular folder) and on opening Task Mgr I found it blank with just the Performance tab showing. On closing MXPro, normal service was restored.

Of course, that's far from conclusive. It could for example have been caused because a memory limitation was reached (I had lots of stuff open) and closing any major program might have cleared the log jam. But still, I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary today, and this sort of crash has been very rare.

--

Terry,

If not done so already, in addition to posting it here (which is always great and informative), it would be good to file an official bug-report on the problem you are encountering at times. I myself do that. In fact, I even created a tiny, itty-bitty macro to get me to the bug report website, fill in my name and other data so then it just remains for me to type in what went wrong and append a snapshot. Heck, maybe I'll post that on my website.

For example, there was an error that happened once when saving an edited External Script so I filed an official bug report. I have no way of knowing if it is just my system, however, ISS might know by getting enough bug reports covering the same thing.

Thanks Joe. I haven't reported this suspicion yet but if/when I'm fairly confident it is indeed an MXPro problem I'll do so. (I too have a simple macro for that!)

BTW, in the list of bug fixes in this latest version, I think I saw mention of an external script editing issue. Could be the one you reported?

BTW, in the list of bug fixes in this latest version, I think I saw mention of an external script editing issue. Could be the one you reported?

Sorry, but what I meant was that the report filed was on the new 4.6.0.1 release.