Macro Express Forums

Error "MEProx64.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

It's been a long time since posting here, as for most problems I've encountered in the past years I was able to find the solution or workaround myself. Although I must admit that the information contained in this forum has been a treasure trove.

At the moment though I've got another one which has to do with the application itself I think. I tried searching the forum, and internet, but can't find any clues which lead to a solution. The onyl thing I found was something completely different regarding the slow down bug possibly related to "MEProx64.exe".

At current my OS is XP64bit, and have been using it very happily since about 3 years now. I was also using Macro Express Pro 4.3.0.1 for a long time already, as it did the job for me so I didn't see a reason to change.

Couple of weeks ago I thought, oh well, lets just try it and install 4.6.0.1. So I installed the new version over the old 4.3.0.1. I shouldn't have because I got a big fat error message when trying to start the installed, but after clicking it away strangely enough it does work properly.

The error message I get is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express Pro\MEProx64.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

I reinstalled 4.3.0.1 again over the newer version, and everything was all hunkydory, no problems. Just to be sure, again installing 4.6.0.1 over 4.3.0.1, and the problem was back.

As added note, doing the exact same on XP32bit does NOT show these problems. That though is most likely because "MEProx64.exe" is not used there.

Frustrated because of it, I used a clean XP64bit VMware installation to investigate, with following results.

-Installing 4.3.0.1, everythings fine.
-Installing 4.6.0.1, error occurs.
-Re-installing 4.3.0.1 over 4.6.0.1, everythings fine again.

Reinitialized VMware to again have a clean XP64 installation.

-Installing 4.6.0.1, error occurs. (Problem as such is not installing over an existing version)
-Installing 4.3.0.1, everythings fine. (Problem as such is definitely the application)

Reinitialized VMware again to have a clean XP64 installation and thought, let's see where this started.

-Installing 4.3.0.1, everythings fine.
-Installing 4.4.0.1, everythings fine.
-Installing 4.4.1.1, everythings fine.
-Installing 4.5.0.1, error occurs.
-Installing 4.4.1.1, everythings fine again.

So the problem was introduced at 4.5.0.1

-Has anyone seen this previous, and knows the solution for it, or has a possible clue to the solution?

Thanks and best regards,

Thanks both Joe and Cory for your replies.

Couple of weeks ago I thought, oh well, lets just try it and install 4.6.0.1. So I installed the new version over the old 4.3.0.1. I shouldn't have because I got a big fat error message when trying to start the installed, but after clicking it away strangely enough it does work properly.

The error message I get is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express Pro\MEProx64.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

I know I'm longwinded as in general I try to provide as much information as is possible, but I thought that above quote was clear enough with regard to the problem itself?

This error shows itself everytime I start Macro Express Pro, at least when having 4.5.0.1/4.6.0.1 installed.

Hope that you, or someone else, has some idea/clue where this is coming from.

-Might it be the 64 bit version of XP not being compatible with the 64bit code of Macro Express Pro?

-Might it be that Macro Express Pro is not recognised as 64bit application by 64bit XP, as it's installed in the x86 Program Folder?

-And if so, what can be done about it? (Please don't state a downgrade to windows vista/7/8 ;-))

Thanks for any hint/tips/input.

Best regards,

I see your problem now. Sorry about that.

No clue really. I've never had any problem with this component. But it is only run in 64 bit environments. I run MEP on several 64 bit machines of varied OS and they all work fine. MEP is 32 bit and it's my understanding this is a sort of 64 bit proxy. Perhaps there some security software running no your machine that's tripping it up? My first course of action would be to remove MEP, go into the registry and program files folder and delete all traces of it and the 64 bit proxy.The perform a new install from scratch. I can't remember is in your verbose explanation is you have done all that but that's all I could think to do. Besides contacting ISS support.

MEP is 32 bit and it's my understanding this is a sort of 64 bit proxy.

Well, you gave me an idea with this one.

If it's true, for MEProx64.exe to only be a 64bit proxy, it would have no influence on the functionality of the program. At least in my simple logic.

I removed the version for 4.6.0.1, and replaced it with the same from 4.4.1.1, and hey presto, all seems hunkydory again.

Checked some of the functionality, and the new preset option for folder prompting, and it seems to work.

Lets see how far this goes.

I've also reported it to ISS, but on their bug report form they already state they'll never reply back unless they need something, so that's not very encouriging for me.

Best regards,