I've been hoping that some kind of repeat capability would be added at

some point. I have a few simple macros to assign cursor right, left,

up, down, backspace, and delete to other keys, and having them repeat

would be most handy.

The difficulty has been explained to me, but I think a way around this

would be to have a setting for each macro that would, when selected,

allow the macro to repeat as long as the key (or keys if you are using

a Ctrl or Alt key) is held down. If this setting runs you into

trouble on a particular macro, you could unselect it.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
I've been hoping that some kind of repeat capability would be added at some point.  I have a few simple macros to assign cursor right, left, up, down, backspace, and delete to other keys, and having them repeat would be most handy.

The difficulty has been explained to me, but I think a way around this would be to have a setting for each macro that would, when selected, allow the macro to repeat as long as the key (or keys if you are using a Ctrl or Alt key) is held down.  If this setting runs you into trouble on a particular macro, you could unselect it.

I'm of the same opinion. Occasionally I suffer from severe cramping and tenderness, after a long session of document editing (specifically programming, but hey, what's the difference <g>). To save my wrist the strain of constantly twisting towards the cursor pad, I want to remap the cursor keys to the right-hand (activated with the "Windows" shift key). Something like this:

cursor.JPG

However, the need to release the "key chord" to instigate the macro, plus the lack of repeatability, makes the remapped cursor keys thoroughly unusable! Consider this example:

• Home - Press and release Home
  • Shift-End - Press and hold Shift, then press and release End
  • Shift-Ctrl-Left (optionally repeated) - While still holding Shift, press and hold Ctrl, press Left (perhaps holding to repeat), and then release Left and Ctrl
  • Shift-Right (optionally repeated) - While still holding Shift, press Right (perhaps holding to repeat), then release Right and (finally) Shift

Imagine how awkward this would be if I had to do this instead:

• Home - Press and release Home
  • Shift-End - Press and hold Shift, press End, and then release End and Shift
  • Shift-Ctrl-Left (optionally repeated) - Press Shift (again) along with Ctrl, press Left, and then release all three keys to get one keypress (repeat these SIX keyboard actions for each desired repitition)
  • Shift-Right (optionally repeated) - Press Shift (yet again), press Right, and then release both keys to get one keypress (repeat these FOUR keyboard actions for each instance)

I've seen messages from Insight that are at least a year old, suggesting that this is being worked on. Has any progress occurred, and can we expect a solution "soon"?

Failing that, does anyone know of another software package that will enable me to do this? Something that works in conjunction with MacroExpress would be nice, but if a competing product is sufficiently capable, I would be willing to leave the fold for this feature. It's something that's consistently annoyed me, during my many years using MacroExpress and Keyboard Express before that.

Thanks for any feedback that aids these efforts!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Have you investigated the use of stickey keys and mouse keys in Windows?

Hmm...

Stickey Keys - I assume you mean to turn on the mode that treats each press of the various shift buttons as a "toggle" on/off. Perhaps I should mention that I'm a capable touch typist, and this extreme change from normal keyboarding would drive me absolutely crazy!!!

Mouse Keys - I assume that you're talking the extra buttons on my mouse. At this point, I've got a mouse with right and left buttons, along with the scroll wheel (with its button action programmed to perform the "Back" operation). Although I am about to replace it with a mouse having one additional button for my thumb, along with the side-to-side rocker wheel, I can't see how this would easily replicate the ten distinct cursor keys. Additionally, it would require that I move my hand all the way to the mouse to do basic cursor operations, which completely negates the benefit of remapping the original cursor keys.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

• 5 weeks later...
Mouse Keys - I assume that you're talking the extra buttons on my mouse.

No, I'm referring to the mousekeys capability within Windows (it's on the Mouse tab where you can access the sticky keys stuff too).

Nope, that's not what I'm looking for. I want to remap the regular cursor keys, so that they can be pressed without moving my right hand from the "home row".

mikeboxsoft.png