Macro Express Forums

Program not shown in Running Processes

I'm beginning to test a few macros on my new Win 10 PC and have hit a worrying problem with one of my main applications, Memory-Map. With that program active, I can get no macros to run from a hotkey. Global scope included. I can do so with F9 and specifying the window title.

It seems to be related to the weird absence of Memory-Map from the list of Running Processes.

I'm wondering if it could somehow be due to the fact that the only way I could successfully install Memory-Map was by setting to XP Compatibility?

Anyone with any thoughts please? In particular, anyone running macros by hotkey on an application under compatibility mode?

I have around 50 macros for this app, so it's a serious setback for me.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

No comments on XP Compatibility. But maybe the issue is related to the absence from Running Processes.

I have a couple of programs that run as normal in Windows 10, but that do not show up in Running Processes within Macro Express.

Task Manager does show the "App" as running.

If I look at Task Manager alongside Running Processes, quite a few show up in the former but not the latter.

This makes it impossible to write macro that checks for the Running Processes to see what to do next.

Memory Map 6.1 is supposed to be W10 compatible and you shouldn't have to install in compatibility mode. I would contact there support and first get it to install without XP compatability.

Thanks Cory. I subsequently let the Win 10 'troubleshooter' set another option concerned with the display, i.e. not compatibility. It's now apparently running OK. So, as I said to ageing hack, I think the problem is this Running Processes inconsistency.

Any other Win 10 users seeing similar behaviour?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

All processes are there. I'm guessing they just don't appear like you expect. Often compatability modes will run a process that contains your process. I would export a list of all your running processes as set A, run the program, export the list again as set B, then subtract A from B and see what's new. I would be the process that is executing your process. I haven't done this for years as it's my normal tack to make programs work without any compatibility layer. Usually this means buying the current version which is cheaper than my time trying to get an old program to run.

All processes are there.

This must be a reference to Memory Map.

There is no way that Macro Express is showing "All Processes" here.

Task Manager shows that I have 166 Apps, Background Processes and Windows Processes.

Macro Express lists about 60, 20 of them Chrome. These Chrome entries also show in Task Manager.

Things have changed in Windows 10. Macro Express used to show the one I want to monitor in Windows 8, now it doesn't.

The program I want to monitor shows in Task Manager but is invisible in Macro Express.

Comparing Macro Express and Task Manager, the former has massive holes for stuff that it does not see.

Every program running on your computer is a process and all processes are listed in your Windows Task Manager. All processes are there.

At the moment I have 89 processes. If I open Notepad the count increases to 90. If I compare the sets of processes the difference is that there's a process notepad.exe. Do the same I just did with notepad and tell me what the new process is.

I thought you meant ME Pro's list of running processes. We were discussing the inconsistency between that list and the typically much longer list under Windows Task Manager.

Have you noticed missing processes from the ME Pro list?