Macro Express Forums

How to grab the text in the "status" bar in Google Chrome while focused on a button/icon

In the attached picture, you can see that my tabbed focus is currently on the link "Macro Express Pro". While my focus is on there, how do I get the URL that is in the Google Status window below? I want to know specifically what is in the status window while it has my focus.

I can hover my mouse over it, right click, copy link, and do it that way, but I can't figure out how to get my mouse cursor to hover based upon where my focus is either. There's too many variables to look at to do it with the mouse so I'd prefer to do it with tabbing through and getting the URL as each element has my focus.

Any ideas how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Doug

post-20021-0-22170700-1472573887_thumb.png

If you look at the image I attached you can see that my focus is on a clickable link at the top of this page (highlighted). I want to grab the URL for that link, which is showing at the bottom of the page (also highlighted). It's that text in the lower-left part of the screen that I need to grab. How do I get it?

Hmmmm. I didn't think it could be that easy.

Typing Ctrl-s lets you save the page source as a text file. Perhaps your macro could then open the text file in Notepad, or just read it into memory (ME variables(s)) looking at the URLs and associated text and extracting the information you want. Pulling data out of a text file is not too bad, as long as there is a consistent structure that you can search through.

Hope that helps. I haven't come up with any other ideas that work. :(

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. That was my first initial thought but then I was hoping that maybe there was a way to get that information out of Google Chrome, Firefox or IE when you hover over it.

So, I guess that's another question to ask. If I was using a different browser could I get that information? Or you think it's probably still the same issue?

It looks like the text is consistent, so long-term I'll explore that as the solution. Short-term I think I'm going to go another route.

I don't think there's any way like you're thinking in any browser using MEP. I would grab the raw HTML and get the links using RegEx. But that's all in .NET. I'd be happy to write you a simple little program to do this. If you're interested send me an PM. If you want to do it in MEP you will have to do some clever string variable work. Essentially you need to look for all the HREF elements. Often there is an HTML element ID or other unique text nearby one can use to get the target of the link. Advancing through the string using the angle brackets is key in MEP. I can help with that also but it would be best to know how you want to use this. I doubt it's just for the MEP forum. How do you want to identify which link target you want? I can't think of any way to do it by hovering so you need tome other means like the display text.

I found another way I'm going about it, so I don't need that right now. It sucks that I can't get the text out of the Status bar though upon hover or focus of the element. Would make some things a little easier. Oh well.

My other option is running into some minor issues, though. I started a new thread for it since it's separate from what's happening here.