Macro Express Forums

Mouse Locator doesn't work in some windows

Just noticed that the Mouse Locator stops working inside some types of window. It stops changing its report on position as soon as the cursor moves inside these for example:

Disk Management (Enter diskmgmt.msc in Run box)

Computer Management (compmgmt.msc)

I'm guessing this is a Win 10 issue (possibly other OS versions), related to security/permissions?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I've been studying this further. I think it might be something to do with the message that appears briefly when, say, Disk Management is starting; "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service".

It seems that no MX Pro commands will work once that window is open.

-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

What you are seeing is normal. When Macro Express Pro is running with standard user permissions Windows does not allow mouse events (clicks and moves) from programs running with elevated permissions (admin). The Mouse Locator also stops working inside Task Manager. To resolve this close the Mouse Locator and Macro Express, run Macro Express Pro as Administrator and click to run Mouse Locator again.

Further, programs can be written to prevent mouse events from other programs (such as Macro Express Pro) regardless of there permissions levels. The information I received said that to determine if a program prevents these mouse events launch the Mouse Locator and see if it updates over that program. My testing with such a program confirmed this.

When I ran Macro Express as administrator and ran the Mouse Locator it updated the coordinates over the Disk Management, Computer Management and Task Manager programs. I did not, however, try it when Disk Management said "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service". Edit: I tried it and it worked.

"Further, programs can be written to prevent mouse events from other programs (such as Macro Express Pro) regardless of there permissions levels."

Samrae,

Are you saying that Mouse Locator does not work for you in MX Explorer and MX Script Editor? It behaves normally for me.

-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

You may have read that backwards.

Some programs do not allow Macro Express Pro to see mouse events from it or send mouse events to it.

Windows calls these events messages. So, program XX does not let Macro Express Pro see messages generated from inside program XX. And it ignores messages Macro Express Pro sends messages to program XX. This starts to occur when the mouse is over program XX or when program XX is active/focused.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm jumping in here without reading fully. But what I have observed with SnagIt, a similar snipping tool, is that when it prompts the user what you are seeing is not your programs and such. It's not an overlay. I believe it makes a graphic of the entire screen and then allows one to select within. This is evidenced by the fact that the mouse cursor doesn't move and we get a new mouse cursor.