Macro Express Forums

Can't delete PGM macros cause password req

I have one macro file for all the macro's I've created for my office. 

'Problem is that long ago I must have somehow copied all the PGM macros into the same macro file and now I want to remove all the PGA macro's, but  IT WON'T LET ME DELETE THEM WITHOUT A PASSWORD - SOMETHING I DON'T HAVE.

How can I separate the PGM macro's from the macro's that I created????

Thanks (and a big HELLO AGAIN to CORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Mazor

Hi Jeff!

I can't think of any way to circumvent the password. ISS might be able to help you with that. 

Off the top of my head all I can think of is to create a new file. Then import all the macros except the PGM macros from the old file. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem and sought help from Paul Thornett (one of the PGM authors) who in turn tried in vain to contact Joe Weimpert, the main developer. I also discussed with ISS.

The only solution that emerged, as in this more recent dsicussion, was to export all wanted macros and re-import. That's unsatisfactory for me as it destroys all the many categories into which my two thousand macros are organised.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

On 10/31/2017 at 10:25 AM, terrypin said:

...it destroys all the many categories into which my two thousand macros are organised.

This is true if you highlight the macros in the Macro Explorer grid. But if you click File, Export macros a dialog comes up listing the macros that contains this option:

[ ] Include the category information in the new file

Have you tried this way to export macros this way?

I have eventually succeeded, so many thanks.  (Was that option available in the previous version?)

I made heavy weather of it because I wrongly interpreted Cory's "Then import all the macros except the PGM macros from the old file"  and your "Create a new file and import only the macros you want."

So I was using File > Import on the exported file.

Once I realised it should be File > Open, it worked correctly.

For anyone else that ends up here, the procedure is best summed up as follows: Export the macros you want to a new file, using that crucial option to retain categories. Then open that file.

Arghhh!

I've had to restore my old macro file (containing those pesky PGM macros) because there's a MAJOR downside I've just discovered when using the export method. The new file is apparently packed. And there's a serious bug with packing which results in the scrambling of all pop-up menu macros.

ISS told me about this flaw ages ago and I've avoided packing ever since, as I have 65 important pop-up menus. (A middle click in the window title of any open application runs the associated pop-up menu macro, which displays a set of macros for that application, so it's a vital part of my workflow.) But I'd not anticipated it happening automatically when exporting macros. As a consequence, the pop-up menus still exist, but the macros they contain are an apparently random mixture of the many hundred involved.

BTW, I've now established that the beta version I was testing when I first attempted the PGM removals did not include the 'categories' option!