Macro Express Forums

Gmail / Googlemail settings

I have been unable to configure the email settings in preferences to allow me to send an outgoing email via my googlemail account.

I applied the following settings:

Host: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465

The system requires authentication: check.

(Entered my username and password).

The macro executes, takes a few seconds, then returns:

"The message could not be sent. ’Connection Closed Gracefully.’"

I did try Port 25, though I don’t believe that’s the correct setting.

I noticed, in the gmail SMTP instructions:

Gmail SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes.

I see no option for specifying anything like this in the email settings.

I have always wanted to use the send email feature, but have never been able to do so. Perhaps it isn’t possible with gmail?

Any advice, anyone? I couldn’t find a "gmail" specific discussion here in the forum. Many thanks!

I don't know about your Gmail problem but I had a client whom I wanted to set up to send notifications but their IT people were reticent to share their server's settings and I didn't want them to have my credentials. I set them up with SMTP-Pulse. One can send up to 12k messages a month for free. I have not tried them with MEP. 

Also make sure you don't have a firewall issue by disabling your firewall or other security software for testing. 

I tried your settings with Macro Express version 3 and got the same error you did. 

I changed the port to 25 and got the "success" message from two send commands, and the ME email log showed success, but neither recipient got the mail, and my gmail account does not show the messages in its Sent folder. 

Sorry, no help from me.  But please post again if you figure it out because it would be handy to have it working. 

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am trying SMTP-Pulse at the moment; so far, no success...

My aim is a simple one: I have one particular macro that works with a 16-bit DOS program (yes!), running in DOSBox, that processes any number of files in succession, but depends on keyboard input being piped into the program. For this reason, when this macro runs, my computer is captive; I can’t work on anything else, as the next keyboard input string then would not properly pipe into the DOS program when the macro executes the next iteration. So I tend to go off and do something else (coffee break - whatever). I would like ME to notify me by email when the process is completed.

It’s cute, I know... but still, I’d like to get this to work.

Thanks to Cory (as always) and rberg. If I find a solution, I’ll post again. Or if anybody else knows something, I’d love to find out. Cheers.

Here are a couple links I found through Google.  I tinkered a bit but didn’t get it to work yet.  Basically a script file and a batch file to execute the script.  If you can get it to work then you can run (launch) the batch file from Macro Express.

Script “testgmail.ps1”:

$EmailFrom = “myemailname@gmail.com”
    $EmailTo = “addressee@yahoo.com”
    $Subject = “test subject line”
    $Body = “test text”
    $SMTPServer = “smtp.gmail.com”
    $SMTPClient = New-Object Net.Mail.SmtpClient($SmtpServer, 587)
    $SMTPClient.EnableSsl = $true
    $SMTPClient.Credentials = New-Object System.Net.NetworkCredential(“myemailname”, “myPasswrd”);

$SMTPClient.Send($EmailFrom, $EmailTo, $Subject, $Body)

pause

Batch file:
cd\windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0
powershell c:\temp\testgmail.ps1
pause

https://superuser.com/questions/80255/send-email-via-gmail-from-command-prompt

https://www.howtogeek.com/120011/stupid-geek-tricks-how-to-send-email-from-the-command-line-in-windows-without-extra-software/

Edit: edited this post to give the script file name the extension "ps1" instead of "txt".