Macro Express Forums

HEX Variables

I'm attempting to create a 2-character random HEX value.

I've done a 'Variable Set Integer' using random numbers from 1 to 9, and a 'Variable Set String' from random letters but have the following issues:

1. I am unable to limit the random letters to 'A' through 'F' (for HEX nomenclature)
  2. The final value will always be a number and letter, or whatever order it is set to.

Any suggestions?

A hex value expressed by two characters can be anything from x'00' to x'FF', which is decimal 0 to 255.  So you could
(1) Generate a random integer from 0 to 255.
(2) Using Macro Express's integer arithmetic, divide the generated integer by 16, ignoring the remainder, and you will have a quotient from 0 to 15 representing the leftmost hex character.  
(3) The remainder from the above division will likewise be an integer from 0 to 15 repesenting the rightmost hex character.
(4) Use a simple lookup array, or a series of IF statements, to convert the two integers to letters/numbers.  

IF QUOTIENT = 0 THEN LEFTLETTER = '0'
IF QUOTIENT = 1 THEN LEFTLETTER = '1'
IF QUOTIENT = 14 THEN LEFTLETTER = 'E'
IF QUOTIENT = 15 THEN LEFTLETTER = 'F'
IF REMAINDER = 0 THEN RIGHTLETTER = '0'
IF REMAINDER = 1 THEN RIGHTLETTER = '1'
etc.

There is probably a more elegant way to do it, but I'm into brute force this morning. :)

That is brutal (in a positive way)! Thank you very much.

Bear with me, but in using integer arithmetic wouldn't I only be getting a whole number an no remainders? ...which is fine actually as it just means I need to 'double the recipe' to get the double characters that I want.

And in terms of converting the integers, I think I only need to do that for generating 'A' through 'F'. Having said that, I am having trouble with the IF statements in the conversion.  Would I use a "Variable Set to ASCII Char"?

Yes, integer arithmetic would give a whole number quotient.  To isolate the remainder you could multiply the quotient by 16 and subtract the product from the original random number -- again entirely with integer arithmetic.  Or as you say, just generate two separate random numbers, one for each character you want to end up with.    

I tried "Variable Set to ASCII Char" and it did not product a useful result.  I was assuming that you want displayable characters -- for example, random number 26 is hexadecimal x'1A', so you want two displayable characters, '1' and 'A'.

You are right about having to work hard only for generating characters 'A' through 'F'.  The test macro below will properly produce a text string for value '9' but will NOT produce an 'E' for value 14.  Run it and see.  

Variable Set Integer %N1% to 9
Variable Modify Integer: Convert %N1% to text string %T1%
Variable Set Integer %N2% to 14
Variable Modify Integer: Convert %N2% to text string %T2%
Text Box Display: %T1% %T2%

But you don't know ahead of time whether you will be generating a numeric character or a letter character.  The series of IF statements I suggested will handle both cases.  

Sixteen IF statements in all, to place a displayable text character into a text variable:

If Variable %N1% = 0
  Variable Set String %T10% "0"
End If

If Variable %N1% = 1
  Variable Set String %T10% "1"
End If

If Variable %N1% = 10
  Variable Set String %T10% "A"
End If

If Variable %N1% = 15
  Variable Set String %T10% "F"
End If

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hadn't seen this until today, but if you're still around you might try this alternative for fun.

Works OK here on first couple of tests.

Web Site, "https://www.browserling.com/tools/random-hex", using Default Web Browser
Delay: 1 seconds
// Using a Repeat allows easier trial/error via the included Delay.
Repeat Start (Repeat 11 times) // Tab to 'How many digits?'
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB>
  Delay: 0.1 seconds
End Repeat
Delay: 1 seconds // Trial/error!
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): 2 // Specify two digits.
Delay: 0.2 seconds
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB> // Tab to 'How many results?'
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): 1 // Only a single result wanted
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB> // Tab to 'Generate'
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ENTER> // Apply
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <SHIFT><TAB><SHIFT><TAB><SHIFT><TAB> // Tab back to the line under the result
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <BACKSPACE><SHIFT><HOME> // Select the result
Clipboard Copy
Delay: 0.2 seconds
Variable Set String %tResult% from the clipboard contents
Variable Modify String: Replace "%tResult%" in %tResult% with "0x%tResult%"
Text Box Display: Result

<WEB SITE URL="https://www.browserling.com/tools/random-hex" Wait="FALSE" Default_Browser="TRUE" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x000C"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="1"/>
<COMMENT Value="Using a Repeat allows easier trial/error via the included Delay."/>
<REPEAT START Start="1" Step="1" Count="11" Save="FALSE" _COMMENT="Tab to 'How many digits?'"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.1"/>
<END REPEAT/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="1" _COMMENT="Trial/error!"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="2" _COMMENT="Specify two digits."/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.2"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>" _COMMENT="Tab to 'How many results?'"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="1" _COMMENT="Only a single result wanted"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>" _COMMENT="Tab to 'Generate'"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ENTER>" _COMMENT="Apply"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<SHIFT><TAB><SHIFT><TAB><SHIFT><TAB>" _COMMENT="Tab back to the line under the result"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<BACKSPACE><SHIFT><HOME>" _COMMENT="Select the result"/>
<CLIPBOARD COPY/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.2"/>
<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x02" Destination="%tResult%" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE"/>
<VARIABLE MODIFY STRING Option="\x0F" Destination="%tResult%" ToReplace="%tResult%" ReplaceWith="0x%tResult%" All="FALSE" IgnoreCase="FALSE" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Result" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs20 tResult = %tResult%\r\n\\par \\f1 \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>

RandomHex-ViaWeb.mex