Macro Express Forums

Macro to launch Macro Express Explorer

Maybe there is a simple way of doing  this but I'm new to macro express. The first macro I wanted to create was a macro that would launch the macro express explorer without having to mouse down to the system tray and select the icon etc. Any pointers? I did not see a preference to assign a shortcut to the macro express explorer

There's no MEP macro command to do it... I checked all the command line switches. I tried adding a shortcut key to the Windows shortcut. I tried to hide the window thinking you could leave it open and simple hide or un-hide it. But that leaves an icon in the task bar. I can't think of any way to getting to it without using the system notification area.

The Macro Express Pro Explorer can be launched by typing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+W. You can change the hotkey.

• Open the Macro Express Pro Explorer
  • Click on System Macros in the Categories column
  • Double click on "Run Macro Express Editor"
  • Click the Change button

Ha! That works! I had forgotten about the system macros. Thanks Samrae!

To finish Samrae's sentence, it's in the Categories pane of the MEP Explorer. Right above the list of your open files. 

BTW this shortcut is slow for me. On my system it was first over 5 seconds, not it's typically 3 seconds. Not instant. But it might be something with my system. 

When I press the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+W shortcut the Macro Express Pro Explorer window comes up in about 1 second. It is so quick it is hard to measure. I currently have 23 macro files open with over 2080 macros (many are disabled). My computer is not new, around 9 years old, running Windows 7. Norton Internet Security is running and presumably scans all 23 macro files when the Macro Express Pro Explorer loads them.

I have always activated the Macro Express Explorer via hotkey, although I did change the default: when I I started using Macro Express about 20 years ago, I was already using Ctrl + Alt + Shift + W to launch Microsoft Word. (Macro software isn't needed. You can define hotkeys to activate any shortcut on your desktop through its properties.)

Try this:

Variable Set From Misc:  "Installation Path" into %Path%
Variable Set String %Path% to "%Path%\macedit.exe"
Program Launch: "%Path%" (Normal)
<VARIABLE SET FROM MISC Destination="%Path%" Value="Installation Path"/>
<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x00" Destination="%Path%" Value="%Path%\\macedit.exe" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE"/>
<PROGRAM LAUNCH Path="%Path%" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Get_Console="FALSE"/>

5 hours ago, vamp07 said:

Thank you everyone. I guess there is no way to program it at least not easily. In either case thanks for the pointer to the pre-programed shotcut.

Sure there is a way -- although this script does not work as cleanly as the built-in hotkey:

Activate or Launch: Window "Macro Express Pro - Explorer", Program "MACEDIT.EXE", Parameters ""
<ACTIVATE OR LAUNCH Title="Macro Express Pro - Explorer" Exact_Match="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" Path="MACEDIT.EXE" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Wait_For_Program="12"/>