Macro Express Forums

Macro Express Pro 6 (is it worth it?)

I just installed Macro Express Pro Version 6. MEX Pro jumped from 4.9 to 6.0.0.1 so i expected quite something. You need a new license. This is the update information:

- New redesign of the program makes it easier than ever to use Macro Express Pro.
- Support for ultra-high definition / 4K monitors.
- Improved the navigation in dialogs and windows.
- Command dialogs are now resizable so you can see more info without scrolling.
- Many commands now allow entering multiple lines of information.
- Themes allow choices that adjust the look and feel of the program. Choose from predefined or custom themes.
- Choose between large or small icons within the program.
- Choose fonts for specific areas of the program.
- Enhanced the Quick Wizards.
- Improved the Quick Setup Wizard that runs when the program is first installed.
- The About box now indicates when a update is available.
- An optional automated update process is included to ensure you are using the latest version.
- Dozens of other enhancements and fixes.
- Updated so more 64 bit processes are included in dialogs listing processes.
- A button now shows the content of the text in the Encrypted Text command.

After trying it out for 3 hours i was not able to see any significant changes so far. You can change the folder size in the Macro Explorer. Remarkably i don´t see progress if it comes to the functionality. But is not this a macro program should be about. Who cares about the theme of the macro editor? I was not able to find just one new command or an existing one with enhanced functionality. How would i loved to have a multiple choice menu with some basic layout and formatting options.  ;-(

Maybe i am missing here something. Can anybody help me out here? Is there a more explicit description of the new features (Dozens of enhancements) mentioned above? What are the MEX Pro 6 best features and does make it more powerful?

Thanks

Alex

There do not appear to be a lot of new features, but I am noticing many enhancements to the usability and accessibility of the user interface. For example, the ability to write Macro Express scripts via keyboard is vastly improved: with Version 6, there is less need to point and click, which speeds up the process of creating and editing scripts.

You can see this improved functionality while creating a new macro. When the "Create New Macro" dialog box gains focus,  you can change the activation by pressing a single character, e.g., S for "Shortkey," N for "No Activation," etc. And then you can Tab between fields. This was not possible with the old version.

The automatic update feature is cool. 

Overall, I would say the improvements are incremental -- yet significant.

I received this e-blast late Wednesday this week:

MacroExpress

Announcing All New Versions

and

50% off

Black Friday Sale

Macro Express 5

Macro Express 6 Pro

$49.95 $24.98

$69.95 $34.98

Order from macros.com/order.htm and use this coupon code: News2018

What's New in Macro Express

• Redesign of the program makes it easier than ever to use Macro Express.

• Support for ultra-high definition / 4K monitors.

• Themes allow choices that adjust the look and feel of the program. Choose from predefined or custom themes.

• An optional automated update process is included to ensure you are using the latest version.

• Dozens of other improvements.

Hurry and save 50%

Sale ends Saturday, November 24, 2018

Buy Now

You are receiving this message as a Macro Express customer.

If you no longer wish to receive Macro Express promotional emails unsubscribe here.

Insight Software Solutions, Inc.; PO Box 106; Kaysville, Utah 84037-0106 - www.macros.com

You have completely removed the information on the shop page for the upgrade price. A few days ago there was the possibility to upgrade from version 4 to version 6. I think you need to contact Macro Express Support - info@wintools.com to get a discount.

The upgrade price was: 1 license 19$ 2 licenses 34$ I think

I don't really know if it's worth switching either. I struggle with myself.

@Alexis

I don't have any further information than from the website :(

Edited by Look_Up
answer to topic creator

Terry,

I didn't get any email either. I'm in low paid temporary work at the moment, so can't justify the full price for what appears on the whole to be cosmetic changes. I may have made the switch at the (not seen here) discounted price, especially as a long term user.

Alan

I finally got the email and also a 'Black Friday/Monday' offer of a lower price. So I've just bought it for about £35.

It will be some while before I install it though, as I'm preoccupied with a video project. Also, I have many macros that work with MX Pro 4 and I expect they will need editing if the UI has changed.

Terry

The macros I imported from the "old" Pro version to the new Version 6 are working fine.

I paid the modest cost to upgrade to the new version as a way to acknowledge the efforts of the people at Insight Software Solutions who keep a niche product like Macro Express available and up-to-date. Macro Express is absolutely essential to my workflow; when I am not using my MEP scripts, most tasks take much, much longer to perform. So I feel I am getting more than my money's worth.

36 minutes ago, terrypin said:

I meant I have macros that operate on MX Pro 4 itself.

Wouldn't that be an interesting thread? A discussion of Macro Express scripts for controlling Macro Express! (I regularly use 25 or 30 Macro Express commands to automate script writing. So far, I haven't had to edit any of the them to work in Version 6.)