Macro Express Forums

Newbie Looking For Utility to Show ALL windows and application registered hotkeys

There are thousands of hotkeys. For example, there are about 750 hotkey assignments in Microsoft Word alone. So if you're into the macro scripting game, you will, in time, face situations where you find yourself "expropriating" built-in hotkeys.

Most of the time, my philosophy can be summed up as, "built-in hotkeys be damned!" If there is a task that I need to automate via macros, and the hotkey I have in mind is consistent with other hotkeys, if it's memorable, if it's logical, and if the user has no use for the built-in hotkey and/or isn't aware it exists, then that's the key assignment I'm going to favour.

• Thanks 1

What bugs me is applications that reserve keys to themselves, and block other uses.  For example, I use the keypad minus sign to trigger a macro that clicks the X at upper right to close a window/application.  It works for almost everything, but Adobe Accrobat Reader blocks it before ME can see it, so I have to remember to revert to Alt-F4, or manually control the mouse, to close it out. 

I have stopped using Adobe Acrobat Reader because of my inability to get the programs to obey its own hotkeys. Some work, some don't.

My experiences automating or simplifying  tasks in Acrobat Reader using Macro Express have been discouraging. I've had better luck with Nitro Reader.

Yes, I tried Nitro Reader for awhile, but had some frustrations with it filling out forms (nothing to do with ME).  So then I got a refresh of Adobe and was happier overall.  I don't use it for much except reading documents, so the ME problems and hotkey problems are OK.