Macro Express Forums

Restricted Hotkey Functionality in Windows 10?

In UWP/Windows Store/Metro Windows 10 applications it seems to me that hotkey functionality is very limited. The only two key combinations which seem to me to work as hot keys are those beginng Alt. (not ctrl, winkey or shift), and that single Fn keys cannot be used as hotkeys.

Do others also experience this problem?

Edited by MCH
I have not tested combinations of more than two keys.

This has been covered in detail here in several posts. UWP controls do not function, many operations can't be performed, all due to the fact that they are not WinForms. There is very little MEP can do in UWP apps. 

Hi Cory. Yes, I have read those posts but I didn't see any that referred specifically to intercepting hotkeys. But maybe I missed that one in which case apologies. My intention in raising this is to be helpful, and try to discover:

1) Whether I'm right about the hotkey problem;

2) If so, whether MEP is likely to be be refined to address this issue any time soon; and

3) To suggest a workaround.

My workaround is to use AutoHotKey to capture keystrokes and then run MacroExpress macros. For example, in AHK the script

"F9::run, C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express Pro 6\MeProc.exe  /AMinimise" will react to a user pressing F9 by running my MacroExpress macro "Minimise" which minimises a window.

I don't work for AHK and would prefer not to use it. But I do need to use hotkeys in UWP apps and the fact that AHK is able to intercept keystrokes where MEP cannot has me scratching my head.

5 hours ago, MCH said:

My workaround is to use AutoHotKey to capture keystrokes and then run MacroExpress macros. For example, in AHK the script

"F9::run, C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express Pro 6\MeProc.exe  /AMinimise" will react to a user pressing F9 by running my MacroExpress macro "Minimise" which minimises a window ... the fact that AHK is able to intercept keystrokes where MEP cannot has me scratching my head.

Clever workaround.  I used to have a great programmable keyboard that could do something like that -- one key would send keystroke combinations or sequences, so I could start macros by a single keystroke rather than by using both hands and a whole bunch of fingers simultaneously.  It's good to know that AHK can do this, and I'm also at a loss as to why it can intercept but ME can't. 

• 3 weeks later...

I asked Support whether future releases will offer decent hotkey functionality in Windows 10, including for function keys. The response was "Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any change to this for several months, if then.". Disappointing.

• MCH changed the title to Restricted Hotkey Functionality in Windows 10?