Macro Express Forums

Build hotkey to halt macro

Look at Options | Preferences | Playback | Miscellaneous Tab to see the built-in ways to stop a macro.  Also, in the Help screens, look at the "Abort Macro" topic.  If you need to get more complicated, such as triggering a macro that will then stop another macro, it can get a lot more complicated.   

I don't think the trial version is crippled in any way -- it just stops working entirely after a certain time if the license code is not applied.  You're lucky the corporate office will allow you to install the product, innocuous as it is.  I have seen places where a few simple macros would be tremendous time savers for staff, but they couldn't get permission to use the product.  And it's so inexpensive compared to some software that companies pay vast amounts of money for.  I bought my first copy out of my own pocket and installed it back when there weren't several layers of management approval required. 🤗

You're lucky the corporate office will allow you to install the product, innocuous as it is.  I have seen places where a few simple macros would be tremendous time savers for staff, but they couldn't get permission to use the product. 

The security concerns of some organizations outweigh their desire for efficiency, productivity, and accuracy. These organizations are risk-averse. If a program installed on a computer MIGHT cause a security breach and/or lead to data theft, lights flash and the brakes are slammed on!

A few years ago, I was consulting for two organizations in the same security-obsessed sector. One company would not allow Macro Express on its corporate machines, while the other organization concluded that Macro Express was OK. The second organization, apparently, tested Macro Express and decided it did not pose security risks.

I understand these security concerns but find the policies and practices that lead to these decisions baffling. Both organizations have certified virtually every product from Microsoft, plus many programs from Adobe, Google, and Mozilla. It's hard to believe that products that pass the meticulous approval process never have security vulnerabilities! I read an article recently about a patch from Microsoft that even includes a fix for a newly discovered security hole in Windows XP -- an OS that Microsoft stopped supporting more than five years ago, and that very few people use anymore. 

16 hours ago, acantor said:

Windows XP -- an OS that Microsoft stopped supporting more than five years ago, and that very few people use anymore

Yes, I heard a news story about that.  Apparently a lot of computers worldwide DO still use XP, partly to avoid large upgrade costs.  Cost is way more than the software payments to Microsoft.  Look how many simple and straightforward things change, or stop working entirely, with new versions of Windows.  If a company has mission-critical systems tested and tweaked and working well on XP, it is daunting to consider the fallout from replacing hundreds or thousands or more PCs and servers.  Ditto an organization with super high security or reliability concerns, where every tiny change has to be certified eight ways from Sunday -- I wonder how many military weapons systems still rely on XP (if they are even THAT advanced😮). 

On 6/3/2019 at 4:05 PM, rberq said:

Look at Options | Preferences | Playback | Miscellaneous Tab to see the built-in ways to stop a macro.  Also, in the Help screens, look at the "Abort Macro" topic.  If you need to get more complicated, such as triggering a macro that will then stop another macro, it can get a lot more complicated.   

I don't think the trial version is crippled in any way -- it just stops working entirely after a certain time if the license code is not applied.  You're lucky the corporate office will allow you to install the product, innocuous as it is.  I have seen places where a few simple macros would be tremendous time savers for staff, but they couldn't get permission to use the product.  And it's so inexpensive compared to some software that companies pay vast amounts of money for.  I bought my first copy out of my own pocket and installed it back when there weren't several layers of management approval required. 🤗

I this we got lucky.  Other in our organization use MacroExpress so I guess it must be on the "trusted" list.  Its working out well so far.  I just need to learn and digest this stuff faster.