Macro Express Forums

Moving menu options

I need to build a macro that will open a window, then choose a specific menu option.  Problem is that sometimes, the option moves.  

Option 1

Option 2

or sometimes:

Option 2

Option 1

Can Macro express "find" the option on the screen and click the right one?  

How would you choose the option if you had only the keyboard to work with, and no mouse?  If the menu is a dropdown list, and if it is organized alphabetically, then usually you can position on the head of the list and just type as much of the entry text as you need, followed by the ENTER key to select it.  Your macro can do the typing.  If it's NOT that kind of list, then that won't work.  Need more information about your specific situation ....

Echoing rberg...

1. Figure out how to interact with the "menu" via keyboard. Once you know that, automating the task via Macro Express is likely easy. Depending on the object you are describing, Macro Express may be able to find it, but probably not in the way you envision. Many (although not all) items can be navigated to by sending keystrokes.

2. Say more about this menu. Do you mean an old-style menu? A ribbon? A drop-down list?

Yeah... this is a list of options.  Could be different for each person and you can't simply type to drill into it.  I don't see a way to accomplish it.  On a web automation tool, i can crawl the grid and find what I am looking for.  In a local client, I can't do the same.  Unless i could put a request for the user to click the right one?  Maybe that would work?

It sounds like you might be describing a drop down list. Many (although not all) drop downs can be accessed via Macro Express, sometimes several ways.

So give examples of the kinds of items that appear on the list you are trying to access. Be precise when you provide the spelling of words, plus numbers and/or any symbols. It would be helpful to know at least the first several list items, plus one or two in the middle, and one or two at the bottom of the list.

• 1 month later...

Using the Controls commands, why can't you get the control's text? I should think it would be the list separated by newlines which you could split into an array then make your decisions in logic.