Macro Express Forums

Activation on URL

Is there a way to have a specific URL as an activation trigger?

Like for instance - if I have a bookmark on my Google Chrome to an application that I fill out often to submit then every time I go to that url it automatically fills in the fields I want it to fill in.

I have tried the Window Title activation but the problem with this is the window title stays the same regardless of what url I am going to for this site.

Neat solution.  I wonder if other browsers have such an extension available. 

You could also try this -- I do it with a number of web sites.  Might be handy for a browser that DOESN'T have a similar extension. 

1) Activate the macro based on window title.

2) In the macro, Alt-d to highlight the URL.

3) Copy URL to clipboard, then examine it to see if it's the one you want. 

4) Fill in the screen, or exit the macro, as appropriate. 

• Like 1

rberq,

Thanks for the suggestion!  It might be helpful to others....for now I will be staying with the option I have come up with as it seems to be working well.  I did submit a feature request to Macro Express to have the ability to have a URL as a Macro Trigger.....and we will see if the author decides to implement it or not.

- George

What a creative solution!

However, the developers of the web site (or application) have not done their homework, and perhaps you should approach them and ask for this change. The del facto international standard for web accessibility requires that "Web pages [should] have titles that describe [their] topic or purpose," and assigns this as a Level A criterion which means it's fundamental for accessible content.

https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/navigation-mechanisms-title.html

For many years I had to deal with a web application that gave zero information in the title about the the page. The Macro Express scripts that I developed to circumvent this shortcoming were very complex, and took days, maybe weeks, of effort. And all for nothing. The developers apparently thought it was OK to standardize the <title> tag so that every page had the same title, instead of saying something about the page in the title.

acantor,

Thanks for your reply.  I have done a lot with website development over the past 20 years (1/2 of my services have been web related up until my retirement recently).  I know that webmaster should make the Titles more accessible but the reality is that few care about that part of the service and instead seem to focus on getting a site done as quickly as possible at the expense of some of the more accessible details.  This is why I thought of the idea of asking Macro Express for the option of triggering on a URL.  It would help the Macro Express community overcome having to use 3rd party browser extensions that potentially open the browser up to security risks.  I know I trust Macro Express people a lot more than I do many of the authors of Google Chrome extensions!!

@rberg:

For Firefox and its derivatives like Waterfox there's Add URL to Window Title (Advanced KeePass Usage)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-url-to-window-title/

@Service Center:

There's also the direct option of triggering the entire activity by running  a macro instead of a bookmark. It would open the page and then do your work on it. A pop-up menu containing all such 'web work' macros would be a convenient access method. Or, if there are only a few, memorable hotkeys.

Alan: Me too; many nerdy hours of pixel and text forensics!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Why don't you use a popup menu in MEP? And instead of clicking that link in your bookmarks bar, have that button take you to that URI and fill out the page?

There are also automation extensions for all the popular browsers. You might be able to have one of them sense the URI and launch your macro. Though if you're going that route, you may as well have that automation tool fill out the form for you. 

18 hours ago, Cory said:

Why don't you use a popup menu in MEP? And instead of clicking that link in your bookmarks bar, have that button take you to that URI and fill out the page?

There are also automation extensions for all the popular browsers. You might be able to have one of them sense the URI and launch your macro. Though if you're going that route, you may as well have that automation tool fill out the form for you. 

As I suggested a month ago!