Macro Express Forums

Can a macro repeating 20x, each time put different text in 1 box?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Gerry Peters said:
 I've searched pretty thoroughly for the code Tool. I didn't see any forum software. Maybe they moved it. Any assistance will be appreciated

Show us a screenshot of your full screen at the time you are composing a post.

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): s
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ARROW DOWN>
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ENTER>
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB>
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CTRL>v
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <SHIFT><TAB>
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <HOME>
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): 

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): lyri
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <DOWN ARROW>

I pasted my command text above using  @Samrae method.

I finally found the Code Tool in the "Message Posting box". But I can't see what it does that's different from @Samrae method. It seems like it's for posting. Is there another Code Tool?

Terry, since I found this in the message posting box do you still want a screen shot?

I'm trying to use your macro. I created a folder named"1 1 macro express". So I changed your line to read Window Activate: 1 macro express.
This folder is open in Windows File Explore and  A new empty text file is open in Notepad, 'Untitled - Notepad'

I tried changing this: Variable Set String %tFilename%
ME didn't like what I put in there, so I  left it the name you have: %tFilename%

When I hit save macro, This window popped up. 
The variable tFilename is not currently defined. Would you like to create it now? Yes - OK

I saved the macro and ran it and got these results in Notepad

%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%

Here's a pic of my folder

Window Activate: 1 1 macro express
Delay: 0.1 seconds // Now, before attempting to insert a Repeat command, simply perform the basic task of this macro on a SINGLE element. In this demo it's the first entry, already selected at the top.
Repeat Start (Repeat 10 times)
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <F2> // Switch to Edit mode
  Delay: 0.2 seconds
  Clipboard Copy
  Variable Set String %tFilename% from the clipboard contents
  Delay: 0.1 seconds
  Text Box Display: TEMP // Disabled after testing
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ESC>
  Window Activate: Untitled - Notepad
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): %tFilename%
End Repeat

10 hours ago, Gerry Peters said:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CTRL>v
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): 

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): lyri
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <DOWN ARROW>

That is not using the code tool.

Nor is it now relevant, as we've moved on to working with the macro I wrote for you to edit and try.

10 hours ago, Gerry Peters said:

I pasted my command text above using  @Samrae method.

I finally found the Code Tool in the "Message Posting box". But I can't see what it does that's different from @Samrae method. It seems like it's for posting. Is there another Code Tool?

Terry, since I found this in the message posting box do you still want a screen shot?

That did not use the code tool.

I'm really curious to know where you were looking for it, which I described last Monday and later showed a picture?

I think you still have some basic misunderstanding, so let's straighten that out. The Code tool, like the Bold tool, Emoji tool, Text Colour tool, etc, is for optional use when preparing a post. When clicked, the icon opens a box into which anything you type will be in a 'clean' form, no extra formatting, so that it can then safely be later copy/pasted by anyone and guaranteed to be identical to the original. Not so important for the command text, but crucial for the actual code. Incidentally, you can quickly see that code by clicking the button 'Toggle Direct Editor', which I've highlighted in this screenshot of my original macro. It toggles between the Script Editor (where you enter your commands) and the Direct Editor (which contain the code, and which occasionally advanced users might be brave enough to edit directly in a text editor.)

Please post a  message confirming you now understand and also inserting in two code boxes:

1. Your command text (i.e. my working macro after your edits).

2. The code of that.

CommandTextOriginal.jpg

13 hours ago, Gerry Peters said:
I'm trying to use your macro. I created a folder named"1 1 macro express". So I changed your line to read Window Activate: 1 macro express.
This folder is open in Windows File Explore and  A new empty text file is open in Notepad, 'Untitled - Notepad'

I tried changing this: Variable Set String %tFilename%
ME didn't like what I put in there, so I  left it the name you have: %tFilename%

When I hit save macro, This window popped up. 
The variable tFilename is not currently defined. Would you like to create it now? Yes - OK

I saved the macro and ran it and got these results in Notepad

%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%
%tFilename%

Here's a pic of my folder

Please reply to my post a minute ago, as the next step.

EDIT:

Or if you cannot succeed with that macro, let's try some simpler ones.

I've shown the commands and code of the simplest macro as usual. But to demonstrate another way of quickly exchanging macros I've also exported it as the file GerrySimpleDemo-1.mex and attached it below. You can Import that with File > Import > Import Macros... and just run it as it stands.

Then try adding a Repeat loop so that you successively display say five filenames.

Then edit it further so that after each display it types them one at a time into Notepad.

If any of these three do not work as you expect then post again - including the code! - with full details.

Commands

// This macro will simply ask you to select any file in any folder and then display its name.
// It assumes you have defined the variable tFilename
Text Box Display: Initial Instructions
Clipboard Copy
Text Box Display: This should show the filename // Disabled after testing

Code

<COMMENT Value="This macro will simply ask you to select any file in any folder and then display its name."/>
<COMMENT Value="It assumes you have defined the variable tFilename"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Initial Instructions" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\qc\\b\\f0\\fs20 Open any folder and select any file.\r\n\\par \r\n\\par \\ul Then\\ulnone  close this message.\\f1 \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="485" Width="278" Height="163" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<F2>" _COMMENT="Switch to Edit mode"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.2"/>
<CLIPBOARD COPY/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ESC>"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.1"/>
<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x02" Destination="%tFilename%" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="This should show the filename" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs20 tFilename\\f1  = \\f0 %tFilename%\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0" _COMMENT="Disabled after testing"/>

GerrySimpleDemo-1.mex

I downloaded your macro and it works fine with no edits. I'll modify it like you suggested and let you know how it goes. 

For years I've used the Scripting Editor and sometimes the Direct Editor, which is easier to use for pasting text macros. Following this post will be a post of the Command Text using the Code Tool and a post of the Direct Editor using the Code Tool.

Just to see if I'm doing this right I'll use your currently unchanged macro. Choose the Scripting Editor, click on the right, hit Control-A, and select all the commands, right click and choose 
Copy Command text.

I'll now go to the forum "Posting Message box, click in the box, I now see the Icons including Code Tool. Click on the Code Tool and in it's box use Control-P to paste the command text in the box. At the bottom right I see HTML. I see no changes in the Text, then I hit "Insert into Post". I still see no change in the text. Next I hit "Submit reply". 

Next I open the Direct Editor, hit Control-P, then open a new Post Reply window, choose the Code Tool, hit Control-P, click on insert into post. I hit "Submit reply". 

I did all of this assuming this is what you were asking when you said this:

Please post a  message confirming you now understand and also inserting in two code boxes:

1. Your command text (i.e. my working macro after your edits).

2. The code of that.

If any of this was wrong, point out what I did wrong please. When I use the Code Tool I see no changes that it made. It seems I could have just bypassed the Code Tool and simply pasted the Command text from the Scripting Editor and the Direct Editor code into the post a Message box.

Thanks for your enormous patience with this. I'll get to work on modifying your macro.

// This macro will simply ask you to select any file in any folder and then display its name.
Clipboard Copy

<COMMENT Value="This macro will simply ask you to select any file in any folder and then display its name."/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Initial Instructions" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\qc\\b\\f0\\fs20 Open any folder and select any file.\r\n\\par \r\n\\par \\ul Then\\ulnone  close this message.\\f1 \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="485" Width="278" Height="163" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>
<CLIPBOARD COPY/>
<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x02" Destination="%tFilename%" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="This should show the filename" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs20 tFilename\\f1  = \\f0 %tFilename%\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0" _COMMENT="Disabled after testing"/>

Good, that’s  the code tool sorted.  But all three of the above would normally be in a single post, mixed code boxes and regular text.

After stepping through the other suggested macros successfully I’m hoping you may be able to apply some new know- how to your Facebook task.

I got your simple macro to repeat 5x. I'm not sure if I put the start repeat where you wanted it. I put if at the very beginning, so each time a window popped up asking me to select a file in a folder and it displayed it. This happened 5x. I did this using the scripting editor under "Repeat" -  "repeat start" "end repeat"  I'll go to the Direct Editor, select the text and paste it into the Code Tool in the next post

<REPEAT START Start="1" Step="1" Count="5" Save="FALSE"/>
<CLIPBOARD COPY/>
<END REPEAT/>

I went back to your original macro "to get a successful list in Notepad" and ran it again and this time it worked fine. The list in notepad was correct, not like what I posted yesterday. The only change I made to that macro yesterday was to put the name of my folder instead of the UK folder you had in 2 spots in the macro. 

I'm glad I did the Code Tool right this time, so to reiterate. The correct way to do it is I can type my message in the Posting Window. Then if I need to share my macro, I'd first go to the Scripting Editor, select the commands and choose Copy Command Text. Then go back to my post and click on the Code Tool, paste the command text in that and hit insert into post. Then I can go to the Direct Editor and copy and paste that text into the Code Tool and insert it into the post. Is that correct?

So I assume the Code Tool is only making subtle changes to the text, mostly leaving long lines for the commands. Is that right?

I'm glad I'm finally making progress. Just so I can have a better understanding of this, what is this?

%tFilename% 

I assume that the % % are something that encloses a variable, any variable. And that Filename is a command to go to the File name that's in a folder. Is this all correct? Or is there more?

And what about the t? what does that signify? Do I need to define what the t is in other macros? 

Thanks all your great help,

I got the simple macro edited and it works! I'll post it below. I have a question about this statement at the beginning of the macro.

It assumes you have defined the variable tFilename

I didn't do anything to define it, but how do I do that if needed?

Repeat Start (Repeat 5 times)
  Clipboard Copy
  Window Activate: Untitled - Notepad
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): %tFilename%
End Repeat
<REPEAT START Start="1" Step="1" Count="5" Save="FALSE"/>
<CLIPBOARD COPY/>
<WINDOW ACTIVATE Title="Untitled - Notepad" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="%tFilename%"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ENTER>"/>
<WINDOW ACTIVATE Title="1 1 macro express" Exact_Match="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ARROW DOWN>"/>
<END REPEAT/>

An exported macro preserves its variable definitions, which is why you were able to run it as it stood.

But when you are writing a macro - and that includes pasting in code that you've copied from elsewhere, such as from a forum post - then all variables have to be defined. For example, if I paste your code into a fresh macro and just run it with no further attention I get an error:
"Line 11: Debug Error: Undefined variable or the variable is the wrong type"

MX Pro offers help in defining variables. When you're writing a command with a variable it will alert you if it's undefined and offer to do so for you. So after pasting a macro you should step through and open each command that includes reference to a variable, to check and get that automatic definition.

As for the percentage signs, that's how MX Pro recognises a string as a variable. You enter the name as normal text and MX Pro enters the % signs.

--------------------

Are you making full use of MX Pro's excellent Help? For example:

UsingHelp-Variables.jpg