Macro Express Forums

How to handle ≥ and ≤

Is MEP to handle "≥" and "≤" characters? 

When I save a string variable containing one of these, they inevitably get turned into "=". In fact, it doesn't even seem like the editor can handle these characters... they always just turn into the "=" symbol. I would like MEP to recognize these characters and then convert them to their text form. My thought was to use the command "Variable set to ASCII Char", but I don't believe that there is a number that corresponds to these symbols. 

MAP can not do Unicode. It needs to be in the ASCII/ANSI set. However sometimes symbols that look the same exist in Unicode and ASCII. Like fancy versions. Like how Word changes straight quotation marks into 'turned in" quotes. Most users don't notice the difference. 

Also it depends on what font you are using. Remember these are all ones and zeros, 8 of them precisely for each character. An "A" can look like a funny symbol in Windings. 

There is no "greater than or equal to" in the ASCII set. But in the extended ASCII there is one at 242 and 243. But many fonts display differnt characters in the extended. 

http://www.asciitable.com/

I'll look after lunch if I can get one of those into a message box in MEP. 

Extended ASCII charts like this all show 242 as that "O" with a feather in it's cap. It seems that most fonts abide by this instead of the original assignment. Perhaps it can't be done. I'll think more after lunch. 

BTW Unicode is, with a little qualification, two bytes. So MEP will usually only see the first byte and interpret that as whatever it is in the ASCII scheme. So there will be a large number that will always appear as "=" or other random character. It's cutting the character's bits in half. 

19 minutes ago, Cory said:

Extended ASCII charts like this all show 242 as that "O" with a feather in it's cap. It seems that most fonts abide by this instead of the original assignment. Perhaps it can't be done. I'll think more after lunch. 

BTW Unicode is, with a little qualification, two bytes. So MEP will usually only see the first byte and interpret that as whatever it is in the ASCII scheme. So there will be a large number that will always appear as "=" or other random character. It's cutting the character's bits in half. 

I've also tried using 242 and 243 without luck. Like you mentioned, it seems to end up as ò or ó

22 minutes ago, Cory said:

Again, too ugly probably, but this is what I had in mind. See that characters "7" and "8" are your symbols. 

lol yeah, I guess I'll just live with this problem. Some of these standard ASCII values seem a bit strange and not very useful, whereas I would think that ≥ and ≤ are more universally known and used 😩