Macro Express Forums

Version 4.8.1.1: can't delete a file?

I realize that I'm running a very old version (I run a poor registered charity), but it works great and is one of my top two apps (the other is Ethervane Echo, which saves and restores the clipboard).

When I run the following macro to save my editing and show my edited website in Firefox, the macro fails to delete file "files-are-okay.txt" with no error message. All the other commands work perfectly.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is this a known bug, and what version was it fixed in?

Environment: HP laptop, Windows 10 Home

The macro:

<LOCK PLAYER Wait="FALSE"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALT>fl"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x12" Time="1000"/>
<DELETE FILE/FILES Path="C:\\Web\\n1\\generated\\files-are-okay.txt" Progress="FALSE" Recurse="FALSE" Permanent="TRUE"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x12" Time="250"/>
<WINDOW ACTIVATE Title="Mozilla Firefox" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>
<WAIT FOR WINDOW TITLE Title="Mozilla Firefox" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" Indefinite="FALSE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="10"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL>4"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x12" Time="500"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL><F5>" _COMMENT="Use <CONTROL><F5> to refresh browser fully."/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<HOME>" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>
<UNLOCK PLAYER/>

Try rebooting.

Can you delete it manually using the same account you are operating MEP in? I'll assume you are.

You could tr running MEP as an administrator.  

Next thing I would do is to see if an application has a lock on it using Process Explorer

You're saving a file into a non-user area as defined by Microsoft. Usually this isn't a problem but I wonder if you have any anti-virus software which is blocking MEP's delete action. Some of them are suspicious of processes like MEP because that's how viruses sometimes operate. I would try disabling all security software. 

It might help to update to the latest version of Macro Express Pro 4. Download it here: Previous Versions

The revision history does not mention a change for deleting files but there are several other important fixes. Release Notes: Macro Express Pro v 4.9.0.1

Your Macro Express Pro 4 license allows you to update to Macro Express Pro v 4.9.0.1 without cost.

You could also try adding a "Wait for File to be Ready" command in front of the Delete File/Files command:

Lock Player
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ALT>fl
Delay: 1000 milliseconds
Wait for File to be Ready: C:\Web\n1\generated\files-are-okay.txt
Delete File/Files: "C:\Web\n1\generated\files-are-okay.txt"
Delay: 250 milliseconds
Window Activate: Mozilla Firefox
Wait for Window Title: Mozilla Firefox
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL>4
Delay: 500 milliseconds
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL><F5> // Use <CONTROL><F5> to refresh browser fully.
Delay: 500 milliseconds
Unlock Player
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes):  
<LOCK PLAYER Wait="FALSE"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALT>fl"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x12" Time="1000"/>
<WAIT FOR FILE TO BE READY Filename="C:\\Web\\n1\\generated\\files-are-okay.txt" Time="1" Indefinite="FALSE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="15"/>
<DELETE FILE/FILES Path="C:\\Web\\n1\\generated\\files-are-okay.txt" Progress="FALSE" Recurse="FALSE" Permanent="TRUE"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x12" Time="250"/>
<WINDOW ACTIVATE Title="Mozilla Firefox" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>
<WAIT FOR WINDOW TITLE Title="Mozilla Firefox" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" Indefinite="FALSE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="10"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL>4"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL><F5>" _COMMENT="Use <CONTROL><F5> to refresh browser fully."/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<HOME>" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>
<UNLOCK PLAYER/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text=" "/>

Thank you so very much to everyone who replied. Your replies were almost all very excellent, and would have been helpful, except that I finally figured out that I had a programming error. I was continually creating the file during the macro. So even though M.E. was actually deleting the file, it kept appearing. I should have realized that Insight Software, being such amazing engineers, would have tested M.E. thoroughly. I should have had more trust.

Thanks again to all. I will try to delete this thread, if possible, to avoid confusion to others.