Macro Express Forums

Can't Launch SnippingTool

I want to create a macro that will open the Snipping Tool in "New" mode.  I have the path for the app but none of them work.  I haven't tried the .mui file types but it seems to me the .exe ext should work.  Maybe I'm not setting it up correctly?

Would appreciate it if someone would look at it and tell me what I should do.

snipping.JPG

snip setting.JPG

Try using the keyboard sequence to start it.  The following works in Windows 7:

//  
Text Type: <WIND><WINU>
Text Type: snippingtool<ENTER>
// 

I don't know why your macro doesn't work the way you wrote it.  There's something weird about the way Windows indexes to some programs.  Even though Windows Explorer shows it as a normal .exe in the System32 library, you can't open it by double-clicking the name.  I read the explanation once upon a time but I'm not sure I understood it even then. 

• Like 1

Is there a particular reason you want to use Snipping Tool rather than its replacement a year or so ago by Snip & Sketch?

I tried both and found the update superior in all respects. Here's a comparison:

https://www.guidingtech.com/snipping-tool-vs-snip-sketch-difference/

Did you also see the 18th April post about this topic?

If you do explicitly want the outdated tool, this is the target:

C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe

Terry, UK

I recently decided to investigate the purpose of the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder. You may discover that it gets huge containing many gigabytes of of files. I thought I could shrink my backups by cleaning up these files (it didn't). From a Google search:

Windows uses a system folder called WinSxS to store files that are needed for your Windows installation, as well as backups or updates to those files.

Because of what this folder is used for I would expect Windows to prevent any attempt to run programs from there. Thank you Terry for showing the correct path to SnippingTool.exe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 6:36 PM, rberq said:

Try using the keyboard sequence to start it.  The following works in Windows 7:

//  
Text Type: snippingtool<ENTER>
// 

I don't know why your macro doesn't work the way you wrote it.  There's something weird about the way Windows indexes to some programs.  Even though Windows Explorer shows it as a normal .exe in the System32 library, you can't open it by double-clicking the name.  I read the explanation once upon a time but I'm not sure I understood it even then. 

Thanks for responding.  Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond, I never got an email notification 😢

So where would I put the lines you suggest? I added them to the top and REM my command, leaving the Ctrl-N command but I got unexpected results.  One was a list of shortcut options and "snippingtool" in the macro name field. 

macro.thumb.JPG.f434198f701ff418541765e8e8b8947b.JPG

I uploaded two images and tried to remove the first one but can't find the option.

One other question?Why does MacEx vanish from sight? I couldn't find it on the task bar and it would't open when I clicked its icon.  I found it in the Task Manager and ended it.  Then I was able to open it.`

image.png

On 4/26/2020 at 12:56 AM, terrypin said:

Is there a particular reason you want to use Snipping Tool rather than its replacement a year or so ago by Snip & Sketch?

I tried both and found the update superior in all respects. Here's a comparison:

https://www.guidingtech.com/snipping-tool-vs-snip-sketch-difference/

Did you also see the 18th April post about this topic?

If you do explicitly want the outdated tool, this is the target:

C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe

Terry, UK

Thanks, I never got a notification about these responses, which is why I'm so late responding.  I have both versions but have never used them until recently.  I chose the older verstion simply because I didn't think I needed the bells and whistles associated with the newer version, but now I wonder. I will open the newer version and play with it, now that I understand how the other version works I may find I like the new version better. 

I tried you path but it didn't work, but I am a real novice so I've probably not set it up right.  I just put the path in, thinking it should launch the program

.macro2.JPG.f629e8456fcdb2551225d101b1373623.JPG

On 4/28/2020 at 3:18 PM, Cory said:

Terry one reason one might not want to use Snip & Sketch is that it's UWP and many MEP functions don't work in UWP.

Could you expound a bit on the response.  I don't understand it but maybe I should stick with the older version after all? 

9 hours ago, mikecox said:

So where would I put the lines you suggest? I added them to the top and REM my command, leaving the Ctrl-N command but I got unexpected results.  One was a list of shortcut options and "snippingtool" in the macro name field. 

macro.thumb.JPG.f434198f701ff418541765e8e8b8947b.JPG

I uploaded two images and tried to remove the first one but can't find the option.

You were correct to replace the Program Launch with the two commands I suggested.  I think you should also get rid of the command that types <CONTROL>n.

I tinkered with this a little more, and expanded my macro as follows:

Text Type: SnippingTool
     Text Type: <ENTER>
     Delay 1000 Milliseconds
     Text Type: <ALTD>n<ALTU><ENTER>
     Macro Return

The first three lines start the snipping tool application.  The delay of one second is just to give the application time to start -- you may need a shorter or longer delay.  The tool has focus to receive commands when it starts, so the next line typing  <ALTD>n<ALTU><ENTER> tells the tool to do a "New" snip, and <ENTER> selects the default Rectangular shape.  Beyond that, I can't help much, because I'm not familiar with most Snipping Tool options.  

9 hours ago, mikecox said:

Could you expound a bit on the response.  I don't understand it but maybe I should stick with the older version after all? 

If the older version does what you want, and is simpler to use, then it's perfectly OK to stick with it.  After all, I still use the old Macro Express Version 3, and so far it does everything I want.  If you have an experienced carpenter with an old hammer, why push him to buy a new one? 😉

• Like 1

@mikecox

The easiest way to open Snip & Sketch is to use the keyboard shortcut combination Shift+Win+S. You can then use its four capture tools by clicking the appropriate icon.

If you still need help to write a macro then please specify exactly what it should do once Snip & Sketch is open.

P.S: After posting a query, in my experience you cannot rely on receiving a 'notification'. Just check back regularly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrypin said:

@mikecox

After posting a query, in my experience you cannot rely on receiving a 'notification'. Just check back regularly.

For responses, I have had good luck by clicking "Follow" at top-right, and selecting the option to get an email whenever there is activity.   Strangely enough, just because you originated a topic, doesn't mean you are automatically enrolled to "follow" it. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, rberq said:

For responses, I have had good luck by clicking "Follow" at top-right, and selecting the option to get an email whenever there is activity.   Strangely enough, just because you originated a topic, doesn't mean you are automatically enrolled to "follow" it. 

I've checked those settings and my email address and it seem in order, still not getting notices. It may be that I marked it as spam, by mistake.  I'll look and see how I remove Spam and allow it. Thanks.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, rberq said:

Can you tell me what the email address of this forums notices is?  I need to add it to my Do not send to spam filter.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, terrypin said:

@mikecox

...The easiest way to open Snip & Sketch is to use the keyboard shortcut combination Shift+Win+S. You can then use its four capture tools by clicking the appropriate icon.

This shortcut pops up a row of unfamiliar icons, and doesn't set the app to select an area that I can save it as a jpg, it save the selection to the clipboard insted. I can't use Ctrl-N like when I click the icon. 

,,,If you still need help to write a macro then please specify exactly what it should do once Snip & Sketch is open.

The first thing I need is for the app to open the way it does when I click the icon, the it need to press Ctrl-N to ready it for selection, which I would do manually

...P.S: After posting a query, in my experience you cannot rely on receiving a 'notification'. Just check back regularly.

I'm not familiar with this forum's interface.  I usually use code to create quotes then I repsond to each quote.  I don't think this is how i'm supposed to be doing this, feels like everything will end up in one box. As for notification, most forum send them with each response.  So far it appears that I may have inadvertently mark this forum as Spam i can't think of any other reason for my not getting notifications.

5 hours ago, mikecox said:

This shortcut pops up a row of unfamiliar icons,

Hover over each and read what they do: Rectangular, Window, Freeform, and Full Screen. Just the same as using the Mode button in the old Snipping Tool.

The first thing I need is for the app to open the way it does when I click the icon

I assume you are saying you definitely want to remain with the old, unsupported tool called Snipping Tool, so that you can immediately save to a chosen location as before? If so then the following macro works for me:

// Open the Start/Search box
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <WIND>
Delay: 0.1 seconds
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <WINU>
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): Snipping Tool
Delay: 0.5 seconds
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ENTER> // This opens the highlighted entry from your Search, which should by default be 'Snipping Tool'.
Wait for Window Title: Snipping Tool
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ALT>n // Select 'New'
// Now proceed manually as advised, i.e. select and then save your target.

<COMMENT Value="Open the Start/Search box"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<WIND>"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.1"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<WINU>"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="Snipping Tool"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.5"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ENTER>" _COMMENT="This opens the highlighted entry from your Search, which should by default be 'Snipping Tool'."/>
<WAIT FOR WINDOW TITLE Title="Snipping Tool" Partial="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" Indefinite="TRUE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="0"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALT>n" _COMMENT="Select 'New'"/>
<COMMENT Value="Now proceed manually as advised, i.e. select and then save your target."/>

Snipping Tool - New File.mex

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rberq said:

The emails appear to come from noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com

Great! Thanks

I assume you are saying you definitely want to remain with the old, unsupported tool called Snipping Tool, so that you can immediately save to a chosen location as before?

Yes, that's exactly what I what.  Thanks so much,

I will see if I can paste it in, otherwise I will add in manually.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Single and multiple  Quote options work, at the bottom of the screen. I usually just wrap my quotes in HTML code  but that doesn't appear to be an option here. [ok, typing that HTML quote code did created a quote field]

But I did just notice the quote icon above so until I sort out the option below I will use that option, with Cut&Paste. 

Thanks again for the code.

47 minutes ago, mikecox said:

I will see if I can paste it in, otherwise I will add in manually.

That’s easy enough: copy the code section (not the command text), open a new empty macro, and paste it in. Or you can just import the finished macro I exported and attached for you, and run that directly.

• Like 1

That’s easy enough: copy the code section (not the command text)

Did you mean Comment text?

45 minutes ago, terrypin said:

No.

What is "command text" exactly.  And can I keep the //comments in the code