Macro Express Forums

How to bring a Chrome Tab into Focus

I’m new to Macro Express – please be gentle!

PROBLEM

How can I bring a particular Chrome Tab into Focus so that I can use it.

ANALYSIS

I am using - Windows 10 - Chrome - Macro Express Pro – two screens

On my First screen I have an Excel list of Part Numbers

On my second screen I have 10 Chrome tabs and I need to bring the second Tab (called ‘Parts’) into Focus so that I can paste a part number and then ‘Enter’.

When the ‘Parts’ tab is - in Focus / Active / the top Tab – the macro works ok

BUT when another Tab (say Accounts) is - in Focus / Active / the top Tab – I can’t get the Macro to work. The Parts Tab IS NOT brought in to Focus / Active / the top Tab.

I have tried various combinations of ‘Window Activate’, ‘Window Maximize’, ‘Window Restore’, ‘Window Show’ to no avail.

Note: When another Tab (say Accounts) is - in Focus / Active / the top Tab – and I try to use the ‘Window Activate’ command - the Tab that I need (say Parts) IS NOT shown in the ‘Windows Title’ list.  Is this part of my problem?

SOLUTION

I’m obviously missing something - I’d be very grateful for some help with this.

Mike

Look up keyboard shortcuts for Chrome.  When I Googled "keyboard shortcut to switch to a specific Chrome tab", I found that Ctrl-1 activates the first tab, Ctrl-2 activates the second, and so on.  So if your Parts tab is always the second one, instead of doing "Window Activate", use the Text Type command to "type" Ctrl-2.  Of course Chrome itself will have to be in focus to accept the keystrokes.  I don't know for sure that this will work for you, but it's worth a try. 

Hello Mike.

I'm not a regular Chrome user but I just tried it with the shortcuts @rberq mentioned. Strangely Ctrl+1, Ctrl+3, Ctrl+4, etc all worked OK. But Ctrl+2 consistently did nothing. So in case you'd already been using that, avoid it by using Ctrl+1 followed by Ctrl+Tab. And brief research shows that similar Chrome shortcut problems are not rare.

The following macro worked consistently here:

// Assumes Chrome is open.
// Any of Chrome's tabs could currently be selected. But the window tiltle of all of them will include the string ' - Google Chrome'.
// Assumes Excel is open and active, with a cell in the Parts column selected.
// This macro will copy the selected part number and paste it into a text field of the page open in Tab#2 of Chrome.
Clipboard Copy
Window Activate: - Google Chrome
Wait for Window Title: - Google Chrome
// Select tab #2 by using Ctrl+1 folowed by Ctrl+Tab (to avoid the issue I described, if it's present for you too).
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL>1
Delay: 0.1 seconds
Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL><TAB>
Delay: 0.1 seconds
// Navigate with tabs or mouse clicks to the text target location.
Mouse Move: 434, 643 Relative to Current Window
Mouse Left Click
// Paste from clipboard.
Clipboard Paste

CODE (for pasting to Direct Editor):

<COMMENT Value="Assumes Chrome is open."/>
<COMMENT Value="Any of Chrome's tabs could currently be selected. But the window tiltle of all of them will include the string ' - Google Chrome'."/>
<COMMENT Value="Assumes Excel is open and active, with a cell in the Parts column selected."/>
<COMMENT Value="This macro will copy the selected part number and paste it into a text field of the page open in Tab#2 of Chrome."/>
<CLIPBOARD COPY/>
<WINDOW ACTIVATE Title="- Google Chrome" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>
<WAIT FOR WINDOW TITLE Title="- Google Chrome" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" Indefinite="TRUE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="0"/>
<COMMENT Value="Select tab #2 by using Ctrl+1 folowed by Ctrl+Tab (to avoid the issue I described, if it's present for you too)."/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL>1"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.1"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL><TAB>"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.1"/>
<COMMENT Value="Navigate with tabs or mouse clicks to the text target location."/>
<MOUSE MOVE Option="\x02" X="434" Y="643" _PROMPT="0x000A"/>
<MOUSE LEFT CLICK/>
<COMMENT Value="Paste from clipboard."/>
<CLIPBOARD PASTE/>

Otherwise, can you post your commands and code (using the code tool <>) which should help us look closer at your issue.

Terry

MacroTestScreenshot-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One of the first things I do with a new program macro is research all the keyboard shortcuts. 

Also Command line options and import/export options. Often you can enter a lot of data that way without a complex macro but still use MEP to generate an import file or process an export.