Macro Express Forums

Challenge: Automate Macro Express with macros!

On 7/17/2020 at 9:27 AM, rberq said:

I have these two commands at the beginning of every macro ... The result is a single log file, rather than a separate log for each macro.

Commands:

Log Messages to "C:\Temp\MacroExpressProLogFiles\MacroExpressPro_Macro_Log_File.txt"
       "Macro executed: 0_Generic_Copy_To_Clipboard"
     Log Errors to "C:\Temp\MacroExpressProLogFiles\MacroExpressPro_Macro_Log_File.txt"

As explained above (7/17), I've been doing this for years with never a problem, and it has great advantages for reducing clutter and for seeing the timing and sequencing among running macros.  But I have always used ME3.  After recently converting to ME Pro, and inactivating the Lock/Unlock Player commands from all my macros, there have been a few ME failures when (apparently) more than one macro tried to write to the log at the same time.  So take heed if you want to use the log this way. 

I reactivated the Lock/Unlock Player commands in most of my macros.  Each one assumes it is running standalone, anyhow, since with ME3 they had to be. 

6 minutes ago, Samrae said:

Another thing you could do is to add a Wait for File Ready on the line above the Log Messages / Log Errors commands.

Good idea.  I think the default is to let ME log to a separate file for each macro.  It would be pretty easy to merge the files, import to Excel, and inter-sort the lines by date so as to see them in sequence.  EXCEPT see below -- the line "Macro executed" comes from the LOG MESSAGES command -- the line "Macro Completed" comes automatically because LOG ERRORS is found within the macro.  Unfortunately the time-stamp formats that ME uses for the messages is significantly different.  Maybe Excel can normalize them; I'll have to look into that.

8/7/2020 5:58:59 PM: Macro executed: Temp
Friday, August 07, 2020 5:58:59 PM: Macro Completed (Temp)