Macro Express Forums

Challenge: Fix an Inconsistency in the Macro Express Script Editor

In the Macro Express Pro Script Editor, ten different "Variable Set" commands are available. The most frequently accessed of these are probably "Variable Set Integer" and "Variable Set String."

You may have noticed minor inconsistencies when different "Variable Set…" windows open:

- When "Variable Set From Misc" and "Variable Set Handle" opens, the first field has focus. (This is good!)

- When most "Variable Set…" windows open, you must press Tab to get to the first field.

- But when "Variable Set String" opens, you must press Tab five times to get to the first field.

The challenge:

Change the behaviour of Macro Express. When any "Variable Set…" window opens, the first field automatically has keyboard focus.

In other words, your macro solution will make it possible to immediately interact with the first field in these windows without the need to click the mouse or press the Tab key:

image.png.c1ea3faa22d678023ccc87b46b6a0c89.png

Bonus: If the first field in a "Variable Set..." window is a drop-down list, your macro opens the drop-down list. Hint: Hotkeys to do this include Alt + Up, Alt + Down, and F4.

This appears to work although I had some erratic behaviour. Decimal played hard to get but fiddling around with delays appears to have sorted it. Bool is very slow to display. My code is just plain stuff, slogging through the IFs and could no doubt be improved.

Also I haven't figured out why I need to double click twice in the command list to get the dialog.

EDIT: Activation is

Window Title: Variable Set
Window Gains Focus
Title is a partial match

(Coudn't get reliable triggering with  Window Is Opened.)

Whether I'll actually now use this macro is uncertain 😉

// Assumes that one of the Variable Set... dialogs has just been opened
Wait for Window Title: Variable Set 
Variable Set String %tTitle% to topmost window title

// BOOL
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set Bool"
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB> // First a single tab
  Wait for Text Playback
  Delay: 0.1 seconds
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <F4> // Open drop-down
  Wait for Text Playback
End If

// CONTROL TEXT
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set Control Text"
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB>
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <F4> // Opens drop-down
End If

// DECIMAL
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set Decimal"
  Delay: 0.2 seconds
End If

// FROM FILE
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set From File"
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <F4>
End If

// HANDLE
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set Handle"
// Back with Shift+Tab
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <F4> // Open drop-down
End If

// INTEGER
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set Integer"
End If

// STRING
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set String"
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>
End If

// ASCII CHAR
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set to ASCII Char"
End If

// ASCII VALUE
If Variable %tTitle% Equals "Variable Set to ASCII Value"
End If

// MISC
// As it's not one of the preceding nine, the dialog opened must be 'Variable Set From Misc'
// No tabs needed, and no drop-down.
<COMMENT Value="Assumes that one of the Variable Set... dialogs has just been opened"/>
<WAIT FOR WINDOW TITLE Title="Variable Set " Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" Indefinite="TRUE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="0"/>
<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x05" Destination="%tTitle%"/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="BOOL"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Bool" IgnoreCase="TRUE"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>" _COMMENT="First a single tab"/>
<WAIT FOR TEXT PLAYBACK Indefinite="TRUE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="0"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.1"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<F4>" _COMMENT="Open drop-down"/>
<WAIT FOR TEXT PLAYBACK Indefinite="TRUE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="0"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="CONTROL TEXT"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Control Text" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<F4>" _COMMENT="Opens drop-down"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="DECIMAL"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Decimal" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.2"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="FROM FILE"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set From File" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<F4>"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="HANDLE"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Handle" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<COMMENT Value="Back with Shift+Tab"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<F4>" _COMMENT="Open drop-down"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="INTEGER"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Integer" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="STRING"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set String" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="ASCII CHAR"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set to ASCII Char" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="ASCII VALUE"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%tTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set to ASCII Value" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="MISC"/>
<COMMENT Value="As it's not one of the preceding nine, the dialog opened must be 'Variable Set From Misc'"/>
<COMMENT Value="No tabs needed, and no drop-down."/>

I can see where this is useful when coding macros, and makes for one less irritation.  I do little enough development these days that the irritation is good to keep me alert. 

What I never thought about before, however, is that every command window appears focused with its own name and therefore can trigger a macro to run.  I will keep that in mind for the future -- it could be handy for tasks other than ironing out inconsistencies.  As usual with your challenges, I learned something new even if I didn't write a macro. 

11 hours ago, rberq said:

What I never thought about before, however, is that every command window appears focused with its own name and therefore can trigger a macro to run.

This appears to be generally true with Macro Express command windows, but there may be exceptions.

After posting this challenge, I decided to apply what I had learned in crafting a solution to the "Set Variable... " issue to handle another, similar situation... and so far, I have made zero progress with a particular class of command windows. I haven't given up yet. I'm still experimenting.

In the next day or so, I’ll post my solution to the "Set Variable…" challenge – which includes a kludgy workaround that I’m almost embarrassed to share. I'm still trying to figure out why a workaround is needed at all. I don't think Terry experienced the problem I am seeing!

10 hours ago, acantor said:

I'm still trying to figure out why a workaround is needed at all. I don't think Terry experienced the problem I am seeing!

What version of ME are you using?  You said above, "... when "Variable Set String" opens, you must press Tab five times to get to the first field."  Using a macro to insert commands (inspired by your other challenge), I believe I had to TAB only twice.  Odd. 

55 minutes ago, rberq said:

What version of ME are you using? 

Version 6.1.3.something.

I have had to press Tab five times for a long time, but I'm not sure how long. Perhaps several months, and perhaps years. The inconsistencies in the "Set Variable..." windows that gave rise to this challenge might be relatively new, or only occur in newer versions.

I have filed a bug report with Insight Software, noting that when Set Variable... windows open, either the first field has focus (the desired behaviour), or the user must give the first field focus by pressing Tab between one and five times.

In the meantime, I'm good with our DIY fixes!

Here are my solution to this challenge. For reasons I cannot understand, I needed two macros when one should be enough:

1. One script recognizes all windows with "Variable Set" in their titles, except, weirdly, when the title is "Variable Set Bool"

2. The second script specifically handles "Variable Set Bool" windows.

The first macro activates when windows containing "Variable Set" in their titles OPEN.

The second macro activates when windows that contain "Variable Set Bool" GAIN FOCUS. I would prefer these scripts to be triggered when windows open rather than gain focus, but I couldn’t figure out how do this with "Variable Set Bool".

Macro 1: General case for all "Variable Set…" windows, although for unknown reasons "Variable Set Bool" isn’t recognized:

// Purpose: Automatically give focus to the topmost field when "Variable Set..." windows open
// Known limitation: This macro fails to activate for "Variable Set Bool" windows. Workaround: a separate macro
// Activation: When "Variable Set" window is opened, NOT when it gains focus! (Partial match)
// Scope: "Macro Express Pro - Script Editor". Uncheck "A window with this title must be on top" (Partial match)
// Note: This macro doesn't handle "Variable Set from Misc" window because its first field has focus by default

Variable Set String %WinTitle% to topmost window title

// Tab five times for "Variable Set String" dialog box
If Variable %WinTitle% Equals "Variable Set String"
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>
  Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <F4> // Drop the list
End If

// Tab once for most "Variable Set..." dialog boxes
If Variable %WinTitle% Equals "Variable Set Bool" // Not working. Use a separate script for "Set Variable Bool"!
  OR
If Variable %WinTitle% Equals "Variable Set Control Text"
  OR
If Variable %WinTitle% Equals "Variable Set Decimal"
  OR
If Variable %WinTitle% Equals "Variable Set Integer"
  OR
If Variable %WinTitle% Equals "Variable Set From File"
  OR
If Variable %WinTitle% Contains "Variable Set to ASCII" // By using "Contains" instead of "Equals" both "Set to ASCII" windows are handled
End If

// No tabbing needed for "Variable Set Handle" window. Just drop the list
If Variable %WinTitle% Equals "Variable Set Handle"
End If

<COMMENT Value="Purpose: Automatically give focus to the topmost field when \"Variable Set...\" windows open" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT Value="Known limitation: This macro fails to activate for \"Variable Set Bool\" windows. Workaround: a separate macro" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT Value="Activation: When \"Variable Set\" window is opened, NOT when it gains focus! (Partial match)" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT Value="Scope: \"Macro Express Pro - Script Editor\". Uncheck \"A window with this title must be on top\" (Partial match)" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT Value="Note: This macro doesn't handle \"Variable Set from Misc\" window because its first field has focus by default" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT/>
<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x05" Destination="%WinTitle%"/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="Tab five times for \"Variable Set String\" dialog box" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%WinTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set String" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<F4>" _COMMENT="Drop the list"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="Tab once for most \"Variable Set...\" dialog boxes" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%WinTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Bool" IgnoreCase="FALSE" _COMMENT="Not working. Use a separate script for \"Variable Set Bool\"!"/>
<OR/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%WinTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Control Text" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<OR/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%WinTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Decimal" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<OR/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%WinTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Integer" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<OR/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%WinTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set From File" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<OR/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%WinTitle%" Condition="\x06" Value="Variable Set to ASCII" IgnoreCase="FALSE" _COMMENT="By using \"Contains\" instead of \"Equals\" both \"Set to ASCII\" windows are handled"/>
<END IF/>
<COMMENT/>
<COMMENT Value="No tabbing needed for \"Variable Set Handle\" window. Just drop the list" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<IF VARIABLE Variable="%WinTitle%" Condition="\x00" Value="Variable Set Handle" IgnoreCase="FALSE"/>
<END IF/>

Macro 2: Special case for "Variable Set Bool" windows:

// Purpose: Automatically give focus to the topmost field when "Variable Set Bool" windows open
// This is a special case. Another script handles all other "Variable Set..." windows
// Activation: When "Variable Set Bool" (partial match) window gains focus, but not when it opens!
// Scope: "Macro Express Pro - Script Editor" (Partial match; Uncheck "A window with this title must be on top")

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ALT><UP ARROW>

<COMMENT Value="Purpose: Automatically give focus to the topmost field when \"Variable Set Bool\" windows open" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT Value="This is a special case. Another script handles all other \"Variable Set...\" windows" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT Value="Activation: When \"Variable Set Bool\" (partial match) window gains focus, but not when it opens!" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT Value="Scope: \"Macro Express Pro - Script Editor\" (Partial match; Uncheck \"A window with this title must be on top\")" _BACK="0080FFFF"/>
<COMMENT/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALT><UP ARROW>"/>

1 hour ago, acantor said:

The second macro activates when windows that contain "Variable Set Bool" GAIN FOCUS. I would prefer these scripts to be triggered when windows open rather than gain focus, but I couldn’t figure out how do this with "Variable Set Bool".

Same behavior with ME Pro 4.9 and Windows 7.  Odd. 

This sure is throwing up some strange behaviour!

My original macro, which I'm pretty sure I tested thoroughly, now fails for the following types: Decimal, Handle, ASCII Char and ASCII Value.

In every case it's because the macro does not get activated. (Note again that, unlike Alan, I can only get any success with Window Gains Focus.)

I tried changing the IF criterion to the width of the dialog, as the ten are unique. But that gave the same failures.

I tried changing the macro activation to Window Loses Focus from Macro Express Pro - Script Editor (Name of macro) which gave a different set of failures.

It seems those four culprit dialogs are Invisible to MX Pro in some way!

I'm even considering using the full command list (instead of my preferred Favourites) and activating the macro by mouse clicks in the relevant area of Macro Express Pro - Script Editor (Name of macro)...

Terry,

I would be curious to know if my two macros work when you run them. If you do, attend closely to the settings I outlined in the comments for "Activation" and "Scope." I found the settings to be persnickety. No problem setting "Scope" to "Global."

11 hours ago, acantor said:

Terry,

I would be curious to know if my two macros work when you run them. If you do, attend closely to the settings I outlined in the comments for "Activation" and "Scope." I found the settings to be persnickety. No problem setting "Scope" to "Global."

Second macro:

OK

First macro: with scope and activation same as yours:

Fails here except for ASCII Char and ASCII Val. However I suspect a timing issue because for the other eight types I found that the macro did run on about 10-15% of attempts. That was with the command selected followed by either a mouse left d-click or keyboard Enter, in either case followed by Esc to repeatedly try again. IOW the brisk sequence of Enter, Esc would occasionally result in your macro being run. The converse applied with the two ASCII types, which would occasionally fail.

First macro: with global scope and activation same as yours:

Fails here except for ASCII Char and ASCII Val. But I don't think it gave even that small proportion of successes with the other eight.

First macro: with global scope and activation Window Gains Focus (like my macro).

All work OK (except for Bool).

Terry, Wednesday 5 August 2020, 10:05 UK

Terry,

Thank you for checking, and for making additional changes to my scripts.

1. My first thought is that differences we are observing are partially due to timing. I tend to use delays sparingly in my MEP scripts. When I'm building or debugging a script, I do pepper the code with delays. When I'm refining a script, I often find the delays are not necessary. Perhaps the need for pauses is a function of the speediness of the computer and/or the version of the operating system. My new Windows 10 machine (purchased a few months ago) has "only" 8 GB RAM, which in hindsight was not a wise decision. It's the pokiest computer I've owned in years. (I make extensive use of a RAM-intensive application, Dragon Professional.)

2. My second thought is that differences might be partially due to different Windows 10 settings. In an effort to squeeze the best performance from my new computer, I toggled OFF as many standard Windows 10 visual display settings as I could find. I wonder whether turning off gratuitous visual effects might be partially responsible for the differences. 

Something related to try as we puzzle out the circumstances that lead scripts to be recognized when triggered by windows that open vs. windows that gain focus.

Create ONE macro that is triggered by the opening of any of the five "Variable Modify" windows.

The scope for mine is program-specific: "macscript.exe" (the program only needs to be running. My script fails when the executable must be on the top).

The activation for mine is window-specific: "Variable Modify " -- note the space after the word "Modify". Window is opened, partial match, no wildcards.

Here is the script:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB> // Move focus to the drop-down list

This script has been working reliably for me when the window OPENS. But what about for you? If nothing happens, change the trigger from window opens to window gains focus.

Alan: Three of the four Variable Modify options work OK here with your macro, activation and scope. The exception is Date/Time, which fails to activate the macro.

The opposite happens if I switch activation to focus; only Date/Time then runs the macro!

I'm hoping Support might come in with some ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

The good people at Insight Software have issued an update to Macro Express Pro that makes my challenge irrelevant! 

The developers "[m]odified commands so the cursor is in the first field of the command dialog when it first opened."

How nice that they pay attention to the feature requests and bug reports that users submit. I sent in my request for this about four weeks ago, so the response time was fast.

4 hours ago, terrypin said:

Can you amplify on that please? What form did this update take? The last update post from Insight here in the forum was two and a half years ago.

Yes, please.  I immediately looked for an update beyond 4.9.1.1, but found none.  Updating version 6, maybe?

In the Macro Express Explorer, click "Help" and then "About." The About screen has a message that tells you whether your version is up-to-date.

It's possible I am using a "Test" version of Version 6. (I don't remember how this happened.) According to the revision history, there were eight (!) releases during the past month, and some last June; but the enhancements appear to be minor and cosmetic:

Macro Express Pro v 6.1.10.18 (2020-08-27)
=========================================================================
- Minor bug fixes.

Macro Express Pro v 6.1.9.17 (2020-08-26)
- The correct macro files are now loaded after Import Program Configuration.
- Adjusted the Clipboard Copy, Clipboard Cut, and Clipboard Paste commands to be more reliable.

Macro Express Pro v 6.1.8.16 (2020-08-21)
- Minor bug fixes.

Macro Express Pro v 6.1.7.15 (2020-08-20)
- Fixed a problem where macro files would not be correctly loaded into the Player after Import Program Configuration.
- Typing Alt+Up Arrow in the Script Editor sets focus to the "All Commands" / "Favorite Commands" / "Code Snippets" drop down box.
- Typing s or S in the "All Commands" / "Favorite Commands" / "Code Snippets" drop down box now selects Code Snippets.

Macro Express Pro v 6.1.6.14 (2020-08-19)
- The installation program for the non-portable version of Macro Express Pro has been replaced with a new setup program with enhanced security and compatibility with Windows.

Macro Express Pro v 6.1.5.13 (2020-08-14)
- Modified commands so the cursor is in the first field of the command dialog when it first opened.
- Fixed a bug in the Log Messages command where the timestamp format was incorrect unless the Use the Default Macro Log command was enabled.

Macro Express Pro v 6.1.5.12 (2020-08-04)
* 8/03/20  Added ability to display a message from the WhatsNew.txt during Automatic update

Macro Express Pro v 6.1.4.11 (2020-07-28)
- When a new macro file is created without browsing to a specific location it is now automatically created in the [Documents]\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express Pro 6\ folder.
- Improvements and bug fixes.

If Macro Express doesn't update itself to the most recent version when you check the "About" screen, I think it's best to assume the above changes will be incorporated into the next "non-test" release.

Some of these updates don't appear to be updates at all. For example, "Typing Alt+Up Arrow in the Script Editor sets focus to the "All Commands" / "Favorite Commands" / "Code Snippets" drop down box." I think this hotkey has been around for years, along with Alt+Down Arrow to set focus to the "Search" box.

According to the revision history, there were eight (!) releases during the past month

That's called the bleeding edge.

In the Macro Express Explorer, click "Help" and then "About." The About screen has a message that tells you whether your version is up-to-date.

Must be a version 6 thing.  Mine tells me it is 4.9.1.1, but no additional message.

What is ME 5?  Just updates to ME 4 under a different name so they can start charging for it? 

I got used to "free".  I don't remember, but I think I paid about $15 for ME, and used the pre-Pro versions for about twenty years.  That's 75 cents a year for a tool I said added 50% to my productivity.  I always felt guilty when I installed updates, and worried that Insight would go out of business for lack of revenue. 

I'd checked that, which reports:

"Version 6.1.3 1

Macro Express Pro is up to date"

Looks like I'm several versions behind you, Alan. Yet as well as that reassuring message, the Insight Download site also confirms 6.1.3.1 as the latest.

Can we no longer expect Insight input into this forum announcing updates?

4 hours ago, rberq said:

I got used to "free".  I don't remember, but I think I paid about $15 for ME, and used the pre-Pro versions for about twenty years.  That's 75 cents a year for a tool I said added 50% to my productivity.  I always felt guilty when I installed updates, and worried that Insight would go out of business for lack of revenue. 

I also started using Macro Express about 20 years ago. (I just unearthed a paper I wrote in 1999 in which I describe how I use Macro Express to create shortcuts for people with disabilities, so perhaps I started a year or two earlier?)

I think I have paid for Macro Express three times: during the late-1990s; when Macro Express Pro was released (around 2009); and when Version 6 came out (about two years ago).

The cost of three licenses has been insignificant compared to the benefits I've derived from the product. I clearly remember the moment I decided to buy Macro Express the first time. I had been testing it for about an hour, when I realized that I would see cost recovery (in terms of improved productivity) in less time than I had been already using it.

I don't think there was on-line ordering in that antediluvian age. I may have mailed a letter to Insight Software, with a completed order form, plus a cheque or my credit card number.

46 minutes ago, acantor said:

I don't think there was on-line ordering in that antediluvian age. I may have mailed a letter to Insight Software, with a completed order form, plus a cheque or my credit card number.

Being south of the border, I had to send a check rather than a cheque. 

But my other question: What is ME 5?  Is it just ME 4 under a different name?

And still more questions: I tried to convert to from ME 3 to ME Pro back around 2009, for a pretty complex application running on 350 PCs, as I recall.  Nothing much worked during testing, so I stayed with ME 3.  I just recently converted my home PC from ME 3 to ME Pro, and I'm still seeing ME Pro crash about once a day.  So to finally get to my questions: Did you experience any significant pain going to ME 6, or was it neat and clean?  Was there an automated macro conversion involved, like there was in moving from ME 3 to ME Pro?

8 minutes ago, rberq said:

What is ME 5?  Is it just ME 4 under a different name?

Check with Insight, as my recollection may not be accurate, which is that Macro Express 3 became Macro Express 5, and Macro Express 4 morphed into Macro Express 6. The two new products were harmonized, e.g., Version 5 began supporting named variables. That sort of thing. Version 5 lacks a handful of advanced features such as Boolean variables, Code Snippets, and the like.  

8 minutes ago, rberq said:

Did you experience any significant pain going to ME 6, or was it neat and clean?  Was there an automated macro conversion involved, like there was in moving from ME 3 to ME Pro?

I made the switch to Pro 11 years ago, so my memory of the switchover is a bit fuzzy. But I recall early releases of MEP did not seem as stable as the original ME. But the stability issues seem to have been resolved. These days, I find ME 6 rarely crashes or freezes. Sure, it happens occasionally; and when I experience a crash, I try report it to Insight. I sometimes receive an automated email, months later, saying that the issue I identified has been resolved and will be incorporated into a future release.

I don't recall anything untoward with the automatic translation of old scripts to new. The process went quickly and smoothly for me, but perhaps stumbling blocks that happen are related to the complexity of one's scripts!

I still have and use a handful of scripts that I developed ten or more years ago, but over time, I find myself rewriting them based on my better understanding of Macro Express, or based on program and OS changes. Many of my tried-and-true scripts for Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Windows 7 stopped working after I installed Office 2019 and Windows 10. I had to revise almost all of them.