Macro Express Forums

Ie Auto Renumber And Save

KeyBored

Hi All,

I'm looking for a macro that would automatically renumber and save an Internet Explorer image. I'm referring to the window "Save Picture" that pops up when I right click on an image. On some websites, the various images don't have specific file names; e.g. instead of T6998.jpg, the filename for every picture is "untitled". When this occurs, IE asks if you want to replace the image. You have to click "No", type in a specific file name, and then save the file. Ideally, the macro would sequentially renumber the files and save them.

Thanx,

Key Bored

This sounds fairly simple if you are going to use a single folder and a range of numbers for file names, say 0000.gif through 9999.gif. When you are ready to save a file, use the Repeat with Folder command to find the largest file number used to-date, add 1 to it, and then use the Text Type command to enter the name in the prompt field.

• 1 year later...
This sounds fairly simple if you are going to use a single folder and a range of numbers for file names, say 0000.gif through 9999.gif. When you are ready to save a file, use the Repeat with Folder command to find the largest file number used to-date, add 1 to it, and then use the Text Type command to enter the name in the prompt field.

Hi,

I am trying to do a similar thing, renaming files autmatically after I have exported them out of a program, but can't seem to get my head around how to do it....

I use the Repeat with folder command, select the folder, then select Files Only and Filename Only and Place name in T1 then add a Variable Modify Integer command selecting Increment, variable to Increment N1

Then Repeat End

That's it and nothing aside from the export of the file and the save as command comes up but no number automatically input...

I can't seem to see the wood for the trees in this one...can someone please help me out?

cheers and regards

Rossco

I use the Repeat with folder command, select the folder, then select Files Only and Filename Only and Place name in T1 then add a Variable Modify Integer command selecting Increment, variable to Increment N1

Then Repeat End

Please post the relevant Macro Express code using the "

[/b]" tags. It makes it easier to follow along.

I wrote a subroutine to do something similar, you can get it at my my webpage. In a paperless project I'm involved in it's often possible that the automated filing and naming system will generate the same file name multiple times. This just appends them with an integer to make them unique by actually looking at the target folder to see if the intended file name exists over and over again until unique.

Another simpler approach is to name or append the name of the file with a date stamp. Something like 20071011-083416 where you actually drill down to the second. This will guarantee uniqueness. Just use the Date/Time command under text to generate a string var.

Please post the relevant Macro Express code using the "
[/b]" tags. It makes it easier to follow along.

Hi Floyd,

sorry about that...it may be better if I explain what I am trying to achieve in ME...

I have a program that I am needing to export about 2 or 3 thousand files and after each file is exported it prompts for a file name to save it as. I type that file name then press enter to save it. as the file name does not need to reflect anything in particular, it can be anything, so I am using numbers...1, 2, 3, 4......25, 26, 27 etc, working up until the last file is exported.

Currently I have ME doing the export part of the process, but I am manually tying in the name and pressing enter, then restarting the macro with the short keys etc.

For me, the ultimate would be to have ME do everything and carry on until the last file was exported, but initially I would like to have it name the file automatically and press enter to save and I can restart the macro...

I hope that explains things clearer.

Cheers and regards

Rossco

Another simpler approach is to name or append the name of the file with a date stamp. Something like 20071011-083416 where you actually drill down to the second. This will guarantee uniqueness. Just use the Date/Time command under text to generate a string var.

Hi Cory,

thanks for the reply, I will give the time stamp a go....;-)

cheers and regards

Rossco