Macro Express Forums

macro does not execute like manual typing

I've been able to successfully replace my  six-times-down-arrow with your 'Repeat Start....End repeat' .

I've been able to successfully replace your complex delays with my 0.1 seconds (extended where needed).

I should NOT have to make the selection of Bookmarks Bar in two steps - but it does work.

I'd like to know how those two steps can be reduced to one.

I can see the need for a Save As that you referred to, but can not find that option in the macro commands. Chrome prompts a name that I am happy to accept, but introducing a left mouse click leaves the prompted name highlit rather than confirmed; the saving path I can write code for, but I have no idea how to put that in front of the prompted name .

Still far from a satisfactory ending.

I think you need to work on some fundamentals like controls. Also I think I have failed to explain to you things like not using my repeat, but rather the code under it. Also I don't think you are understanding the direct editor code and I don't think you are pasting my code into a macro. And I don't think you are using my first code to get to the bookmarks. And you're not showing me your code. It seems you want to do this differently than all the methods I've shown you. Good luck. 

<PROGRAM SHUT DOWN Option="\x01" Title="Bookmarks - Google Chrome" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>

In my own clumsy way, I've managed to get the Export done. I thought I would 'clean up the job' by closing Chrome at the end, but there is yet again an obstacle. I made the second last line a complex pause, to give me a chance to delete the old Export file and put today's date into the new Export file. So once I have done that I click on RESUME, but the final line fails to execute.

"And you're not showing me your code." I am happy to change that, but THIS post does not provide me with the pairs of chevrons that I used before to post code, so I can only send a graphic  - which method you have objected to. But because it is long, I have to do it i n two parts with the bottom of the first overlapping with the top of the second

First.JPG

Second.JPG

<COMMENT Value="Launch Chrome"/>
<LAUNCH PROGRAM AND ACTIVATE WINDOW Title="New Tab - Google Chrome" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" Path="C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Wait_For_Program="12"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.1"/>
<COMMENT Value="ALT f to open the Menu"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALT>f"/>
<COMMENT Value="Down-arrow x 6 to highlight Bookmarks ; using Repeat... End repeat"/>
<REPEAT START Start="1" Step="1" Count="6" Save="FALSE"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ARROW DOWN>"/>
<END REPEAT/>
<COMMENT Value="ENTER to select Bookmarks"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ENTER>"/>
<COMMENT Value="CTRL Down SHIFT Down B CTRL Up Shift Up to select Bookmarks Bar"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CTRLD><SHIFTD>B<CTRLU><SHIFTU>"/>
<COMMENT Value="Down arrow to select Bookmarks Manager"/>
<COMMENT Value="ENTER to open  Bookmarks Manager"/>
<COMMENT Value="A longer delay is here required"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="1"/>
<COMMENT Value="TAB to select the Bookmark Manager's Menu"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<TAB>"/>
<COMMENT Value="ENTER to open  Bookmarks Manager's menu"/>
<COMMENT Value="Down-arrow x 5 to highlight Export"/>
<REPEAT START Start="1" Step="1" Count="5" Save="FALSE"/>
<END REPEAT/>
<COMMENT Value="ENTER to activate EXPORT"/>
<COMMENT Value="Delete to be rid of the prompted name"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<DELETE>"/>
<COMMENT Value="Types the path for the export which is to be saved "/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="C:\\data\\Chrome\\Bookmarks\\file.html"/>
<COMMENT Value="ENTER to 'press' the Save button"/>
<PAUSE Flags="\x11" Message="replace file date" Left="Center" Top="Center" Monitor="0"/>
<PROGRAM SHUT DOWN Option="\x01" Title="Bookmarks - Google Chrome" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>

The item - NOT chevrons, but single side arrows -  you have pointed arrows to, was missing when I did the graphic post. It is present NOW, so I will re-post using that.  

If you did my idea of navigating to the bookmarks page directly, you wouldn't have to deal with default pages. If you don't trust MEP, try it manually. Open chrome and paste in this address. "chrome://bookmarks". It will not be painful, I swear.

As for the last line, I can't remember the last time I used Program Shut Down. As I remember one should only use this when Windows Close doesn't suit your needs. Try Window Close.  Since you have it focussed, you just use the basic command.

<WINDOW CLOSE Option="\x00" Partial="TRUE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006"/>

"Open chrome and paste in this address. "chrome://bookmarks". It will not be painful, I swear. " I did and reported that the results were as you predicted.

Replacing the Program Shutdown with Close Window did the trick.

So now I have a functioning macro ans should be satisfied.

But I want to draw your attention to the code that was a work-around, because a direct approach did not work. I should be able to select Bookmark Manager manually with 'CTRL SHIFT O' , but that did not work; nor did 'down arrow x 4' to Bookmark Manager in the macro. So my work-around was to select 'Show Bookmarks Bar' and then to down-arrow once to Bookmark Manager. Can you improve on that ?

I am (as usual) confused about your 'repeat' comment. I was not aware of the 'Repeat Start .... End Repeat' option until your example drew my attention to it. I think it is a more elegant way to achieve the same effect, so I emulated that higher up in the macro but incurred your displeasure - I'm puzzled WHY !

I don't think it matters in this case, but there is something to keep in mind about the "Text Type" instruction. The input is case sensitive. For example,

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL>B

is equivalent to:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL><SHIFT>b

If you want Ctrl + B, do this:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL>b

Not this:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL>B

I had become aware of that 'capital letter issue' in a recent comment (from you ?) in another thread.

My invocation of B worked fine.

What did NOT work, and what I was asking about, was the failure of 'CTRL SHIFT O' to trigger Bookmarks Manager, forcing me to use the work around I described above.

By the way, even though 'Notify me of replies' has been 'activated', I have not received emails - probably since the thread went to page 2. 

I just created a Macro Express script scoped to Google Chrome. It's triggered by Alt + Y:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL><SHIFT>o

It brings up the Bookmarks screen.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Try deleting the line and recreating it. If that doesn't work, try recreating your entire script from scratch.

<COMMENT Value="ENTER to select Bookmarks"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CTRLD><SHIFTD>o<CTRLU><SHIFTU>"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="100"/>

What I need is for the Bookmarks MANAGER to open - your '<CONTROL><SHIFT>o' merely highlights the  Bookmarks Bar entry.

I repeat that I have a working macro already, but I'm trying to understand why I needed to employ a work-around.

The format of '<CTRLD><SHIFTD>b<CTRLU><SHIFTU"/> had already worked for selecting Bookmarks.

I COULD change it to '<CTRLD><SHIFTD>o<SHIFTU><CTRLU"/>, but will not bother without your encouragement.

I did get email notification again.

error.JPG