Macro Express Forums

3.0 text macro hard to edit in 5.0

I'm using ME 5. I created a text macro in 3.0 and it's hard to modify it in 5.0. The text macro types several paragraphs by hitting a hot-key.  In 3.0 I could use the direct editor and the text was displayed pretty much exactly like the paragraphs and it was easy to add a new paragraph. 

In 5.0 the Direct Editor displays 2 long lines with my text embedded with lots of code, I can't simply just paste my new paragraph without lots of modification.

If I go to the Scripting Editor, I see my text not as 1 block like 3.0, but 2 blocks. One marked 1 and below it 2. If I select 2 and right click and choose: Modify Command. I then see an easy box to add my paragraph. I added it and hit Save Macro. 

The macro does work and my new paragraph shows up in the Direct Editor, but it's not displayed in the Scripting Editor, unless I choose: Modify Command, then I see it in that box. 

So my first question is should I have added my new paragraph using a different technique? And secondly did I corrupt this macro by doing it this way since the Scripting Editor is not displaying my new paragraph?

If the macro is working, you must not have corrupted it enough to worry about.  

Here's a suggestion, somewhat related to your question:

If you have to change the text with any frequency, you could maintain it in a Notepad document, where it is easy to edit.  Your macro could open the Notepad text file, copy all to the clipboard, put clipboard contents into a variable, and type the variable.  You would "never" have to touch the macro again. 

I’m unable to clearly visualise what you are seeing but I’d definitely agree with @rberq’s suggestion to abandon that approach.

The text file method is probably the best. But one alternative you might consider is to place a Variable Set String with a Prompt at the start. Use that variable to type the text. On my iPad at the moment so haven’t tested it.

EDIT: Back on my PC I tested that idea and it works as expected. Here's an example macro. It uses two variable commands to make changing the text easy.

Variable Set String %tText% to "I'd suggest you first reduce the problem to its absolute essentials. If I have it right, there is one particular set of video files that, when imported into version X of MEP, don't behave correctly. Therefore can you upload a small (non-confidential) example so that we can try it. I'm hopeful that we might find a suitable conversion of the troublesome files.

You also need to give us more information so that we have a better chance to help. Start with the version of MEP that you're using! But then read this sticky too:
"
Variable Set String %tText%: Prompt
Text Box Display: %tText%

Terry

I'm aware that Insight is working on issues related to the display of lines in the Script Editor. I reported a problem that I noticed and reported it to Insight, and they acknowledged it. Perhaps there are related display problems in the Direct Editor.

I suggest filing a bug report with Insight.

1 hour ago, acantor said:

I'm aware that Insight is working on issues related to the display of lines in the Script Editor. I reported a problem that I noticed and reported it to Insight, and they acknowledged it. Perhaps there are related display problems in the Direct Editor.

I suggest filing a bug report with Insight.

Wondering if this is a bug, I simply copied the text from the Direct Editor and created a new ME 5 macro and pasted the text in it's Direct Editor. Upon looking at the Scripting Editor I saw the same behavior, but on closer look I see that the Scripting Editor simply does not show the complete list. It stops after a certain number of lines. There are 70 lines in my text macro. I have a feeling this is not a bug but the way it was intended. Maybe I'm wrong.

So to me the bottom line is when I want to make adjustments to this macro, I'll go to the Scripting Editor and double click on the text this brings up the Modify Command. I can easily add the text in that window. Is this an acceptable way of working in ME 5? I'm still getting used to the changes from 3.0

That's not the way I use Macro Express, but what you are doing sounds like it might work. For example, I rarely use the Direct Editor; the Script Editor works fine for me.

To revise a command, I select it via the keyboard and press Enter. I've never tried double clicking a command, but I've seen people who right-click on an instruction and choose "Modify Command" from the context menu.

I'm not sure there is a maximum number of characters that can be outputted via the "Text Type" instruction. But in Help, I see this:

Caution: It is possible when typing back long strings of text that the Keyboard Buffer may overflow. When this happens some of the text may be missing or scrambled or the computer emits a strange high pitched sound. In these instances the text is playing back too fast. To correct this problem, either select the Use Clipboard to Paste Text option, set a default Text Type Delay from the Preferences window, or use the Keystroke Speed command to control the text playback speed.

Another option is to split a long Text Type instruction into several shorter ones.

I see, I tried your method hitting Enter instead of Double Clicking or right click: Modify Command and they all do the same thing. I can see why you don't use the Direct Editor much. I agree the Scripting Editor is much easier in instances like these, whereas in ME 3.0 the Direct Editor did almost the same thing as the Modify Command. It had some minor code in it at the beginning and the end of the text. So this has been a good tutorial for me - thanks.