Macro Express Forums

Custom Colours don't last

I'm making more use of the handy Set Background color... option, and sometimes need lighter colours than those in the main grid of the Colour dialog. But after using Define Custom Colours to add my own, and returning to work on the macro later, these have disappeared. What is the expected lifetime of Custom Colours and what behaviour do other users see please?

Thanks for reminding me of this feature, It can be handy. 

I think I see what you mean. I defined a custom color and added it yo custom colors and it appeared below the basic colors. I closed out of everything saving the macro and restarted MEP. Now the custom color is missing. 

Another thing seems wrong. Now when I pick from the palette, the values change at the right but the "Color|Solid" box always appears white. 

My mistake. I left the slider all the way up. Annoying, it defaults to the top. Maybe somehting related to it not remembering the custom color. 

If I close the dialog and go right back in, the custom colors persist. Saving doesn't make them vanish. Only when I close the scripting editor does it vanish. 
I think you should report this as a bug. 

2021-02-21_10-26-18.jpg.9bade176d5c4bec724eb49db11a5d828.jpg

I use the feature a lot to change the background colour of comments. But I haven't defined custom colours. I almost always use a yellow background. I use this feature enough that I use a hotkey macro to change the background colour to yellow, and another hotkey to change it back to white.

If Macro Express isn't remembering custom colours, perhaps it's a bug. Report it to the folks at Insight Software.

image.thumb.png.998c38906d6cca35398285a9923f6662.png

image.png

I use the feature a lot to change the background colour of comments. But I haven't defined custom colours. I almost always use a yellow background. I use this feature enough that I use a hotkey macro to change the background colour to yellow, and another hotkey to change it back to white.

If Macro Express isn't remembering custom colours, perhaps it's a bug. Report it to the folks at Insight Software.

image.thumb.png.f5c823dbf41ebd73421070e8f35435d8.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 10:04 AM, terrypin said:

I'm making more use of the handy Set Background color... option, and sometimes need lighter colours than those in the main grid of the Colour dialog. But after using Define Custom Colours to add my own, and returning to work on the macro later, these have disappeared. What is the expected lifetime of Custom Colours and what behaviour do other users see please?

I saw a macro on this forum some time ago that when through the steps of selecting a background color and I used it as the starting place for a macro that sets all of my custom colors. Instead of picking one of the set colors, it tabs over to the RGB fields and fills them in from integer values that I have defined in an array. This has to be done every time MEP is restarted. It works, but I haven't yet decided whether it's worth the trouble.

As I am writing this, it is occurring to me that instead of setting the RGB values, you could instead use Hue/Sat/Luma and perform a calculation (let's say... divide luma by 2 or whatever you think looks nice) to get perfectly offset text/background colors.

Interesting idea but in my case I use background colours infrequently, so don’t think it justifies much macro effort. But I would like the rather fainter colours I customise to be sustained over sessions. I reported it as a possible bug but have so far had no response.