Macro Express Forums

Catch-22

I have a macro, A, that I trigger with the Backspace key.

I have another macro, B, that (among other things) simulates typing a Backspace.

The problem is, when B "types" Backspace, it triggers A to run, which causes havoc.  How can I keep A from running in this situation?  Both A and B sometimes are used in the same applications, so I can’t limit A by Scope.  Any other suggestions? 

I'm with Terry. Backspace is too pervasive, and it's used by too many applications, sometimes to do different things. (For example, in most browsers, pressing Backspace is the same as clicking the Back button.)

I would think twice about using Backspace as a macro trigger, just like I would hesitate to use "E" or the down arrow or the spacebar.

How about using Shift + Backspace? or Ctrl + Alt + Backspace?

1 minute ago, acantor said:

... in most browsers, pressing Backspace is the same as clicking the Back button.)

Firefox very recently stopped recognizing Backspace, after debating for ten or fifteen years whether to do it.  That's why I wrote my macro.  If in Firefox, the macro clicks the Back button.  If not in Firefox, the macro simulates typing Backspace, so as not to disrupt its many other uses. 

So far I am using the Insert key to trigger the macro, which on my keyboard is right above Backspace.  But I was hoping to have my cake and eat it too.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:54 PM, rberq said:

Firefox very recently stopped recognizing Backspace, after debating for ten or fifteen years whether to do it.  That's why I wrote my macro.  If in Firefox, the macro clicks the Back button.  If not in Firefox, the macro simulates typing Backspace, so as not to disrupt its many other uses. 

So far I am using the Insert key to trigger the macro, which on my keyboard is right above Backspace.  But I was hoping to have my cake and eat it too.

Another possible solution:

In Firefox's about:config

browser.backspace_action --> 0

Changing the value to zero will re-enable support for Backspace key as a Back button.