Macro Express Forums

Disablement

In the Scheduled Tasks list of StartUp Manager, I found five codes listed as 'disabled'; there was an option to delete them, so I deleted four of them. I have since found that Macro Express no longer works, and fear that my deletions may have caused the disablement. Can anyone throw light on this ?
The codes were :
{1C8C8445-3AF3-4DD6-8C02-6694F42FDBE6}
{25E6CB6D-8992-43FF-9440-629929607D3D}
{5D2BF198-67A0-47E7-8C5F-A3524EDD536B}
{79B648AB-D2C7-4CB6-B481-8750BB0C9223}
{EB3B1F34-37CE-4AAC-9491-1B51A99EF057}

I searched the registry in the hope of finding a reference to macros Express, but could not find the ones I deleted there - the last four.

Do you mean Macro Express no longer starts up automatically when you start Windows?  Or do you mean it no longer works, period, even if you start ME manually? 

Try reinstalling Macro Express and see if that starts it working again as you expect it to work.  Then just for fun see if the deleted items have come back. 

Before rberg's suggestions I suggest you go into MEP's settings, disable the option of automatic startup, save settings, then enable it again. If it's missing, then it shoudl be added here again. 

This is assuming you're saying MEP is not starting up automatically. If, as rberg asked, it will not launch manually, then you probably should repair yoru installation. But if doesn't function at all, then the startup issue is unrelated. 

I also recommend doing a malware scan. Also don't run any of those cleanup/optimize utilities as they often disable needed things. 

I was not notified of your replies (and they were in neither Trash, nor Spam), so tried some things before I saw them. The MEP icon still appears in the systray, so it must be launching with Windows, but the hotkeys now have effects that differ from the ones set in MEP. I did do what I thought was a thorough uninstall, rebooted and re-installed; the original macros were still there, so the uninstall can not have been as thorough as I thought. There is NO restoration of the correct effects from the hotkeys. I have learned a lesson about 3rd party Cleaning-up programs. StartUp Manager had a RESTORE option (that I have only just discovered), but there was no option of restoring those deletions (not did they appear after reinstalling MEP), only other things that I did not want restored.

15 hours ago, Sebastian42 said:

I've noticed that in the MEP Explorer window, in the left pane, there is a no longer a tree of categories, and at the bottom it says 'no macros selected'

It sounds like you didn't have a macro file loaded. 

9 hours ago, Sebastian42 said:

To open one, File > Open File....  That is too cumbersome for my purposes - I want to activate them by hotkey.

You could write a macro, using Macro Express, that would perform the three steps to navigate to the dialog box via hotkey.

Alt + F

Slight pause

O

10 hours ago, Sebastian42 said:

To open one, File > Open File....  That is too cumbersome for my purposes - I want to activate them by hotkey.

A .mex file is not a macro.  A .mex file contains many individual macros.  You don't have to open the .mex file every time you want to activate a macro.  Once you open it, it stays open, and all the macros within it can be activated via their hotkeys.