Macro Express Forums

Macro to create a new Outlook task that includes e-mail content and attachments

Hello everyone,

I've tried without luck to create a macro that can be used from within an open outlook e-mail message and which will:

1.  create a new task item using the e-mail message header as the header for the new task,

2.  reproduce the e-mail body in the body of the task and

3.  include as an attachment of the task any e-mail attachment that was in the e-mail.

Would anyone have such a macro (or similar) or point me to somewhere where it can be obtained?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

In Outlook, you have the option to add a "Quick Step" in the "Message" ribbon called "Create a task with attachment." I think this does what you want. When setting up the new Quick Step, you can assign one of nine "Shortcut keys" to activate it: Shift + Ctrl + 1, Shift + Ctrl + 2, etc.

Once you set up the shortcut, you don't really need a macro, as the shortcut key will do it all.

However, if you want to use a different hotkey, create a Macro Express script that is activated by, for example, F10. Have this macro output Shift + Ctrl + number, and you should be good to go!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, acantor said:

Hi John,

In Outlook, you have the option to add a "Quick Step" in the "Message" ribbon called "Create a task with attachment." I think this does what you want. When setting up the new Quick Step, you can assign one of nine "Shortcut keys" to activate it: Shift + Ctrl + 1, Shift + Ctrl + 2, etc.

Once you set up the shortcut, you don't really need a macro, as the shortcut key will do it all.

However, if you want to use a different hotkey, create a Macro Express script that is activated by, for example, F10. Have this macro output Shift + Ctrl + number, and you should be good to go!

Thanks!  That is very useful. 

The one thing I omitted in my original message was that I had already created a macro to have the task automatically assigned to a particular person and wanted to combine that macro with one that included the features described above so that I have a one step button/shortcut to do the above 3 tasks AND automatically assign the task to someone. 

Would you know by any chance if there is a VBA command for "Create a task with attachment" ?

Cheers,

John

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, John McTaggart said:

Thanks!  That is very useful. 

The one thing I omitted in my original message was that I had already created a macro to have the task automatically assigned to a particular person and wanted to combine that macro with one that included the features described above so that I have a one step button/shortcut to do the above 3 tasks AND automatically assign the task to someone. 

Would you know by any chance if there is a VBA command for "Create a task with attachment" ?

Cheers,

John

I've actually figured it out on my own (BTW there is no VBA command for "Create a task with attachment" so I had to code it myself)

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2021 at 10:38 AM, John McTaggart said:

I've actually figured it out on my own (BTW there is no VBA command for "Create a task with attachment" so I had to code it myself)

Hey John. Do you mind sharing that macro? I'm also interested in creating tasks from emails including the attachments that came with it