Jump to content
Macro Express Forums

Macro to create a new Outlook task that includes e-mail content and attachments


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

 

I've tried without luck to create a macro that can be used from within an open outlook e-mail message and which will:

 

1.  create a new task item using the e-mail message header as the header for the new task,

2.  reproduce the e-mail body in the body of the task and

3.  include as an attachment of the task any e-mail attachment that was in the e-mail.

 

Would anyone have such a macro (or similar) or point me to somewhere where it can be obtained?

 

Thanks,

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't need a macro. Just drag and drop the message onto the Tasks icon in Outlook and it will do what you want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi John,

 

In Outlook, you have the option to add a "Quick Step" in the "Message" ribbon called "Create a task with attachment." I think this does what you want. When setting up the new Quick Step, you can assign one of nine "Shortcut keys" to activate it: Shift + Ctrl + 1, Shift + Ctrl + 2, etc.

 

Once you set up the shortcut, you don't really need a macro, as the shortcut key will do it all.

 

However, if you want to use a different hotkey, create a Macro Express script that is activated by, for example, F10. Have this macro output Shift + Ctrl + number, and you should be good to go!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cory said:

You don't need a macro. Just drag and drop the message onto the Tasks icon in Outlook and it will do what you want. 

Thanks Cory.  For some reason, when I do so, the attachment(s) are not included in the new task.   @acantor was also kind enough to provide a solution though. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, acantor said:

Hi John,

 

In Outlook, you have the option to add a "Quick Step" in the "Message" ribbon called "Create a task with attachment." I think this does what you want. When setting up the new Quick Step, you can assign one of nine "Shortcut keys" to activate it: Shift + Ctrl + 1, Shift + Ctrl + 2, etc.

 

Once you set up the shortcut, you don't really need a macro, as the shortcut key will do it all.

 

However, if you want to use a different hotkey, create a Macro Express script that is activated by, for example, F10. Have this macro output Shift + Ctrl + number, and you should be good to go!

Thanks!  That is very useful. 

 

The one thing I omitted in my original message was that I had already created a macro to have the task automatically assigned to a particular person and wanted to combine that macro with one that included the features described above so that I have a one step button/shortcut to do the above 3 tasks AND automatically assign the task to someone. 

 

Would you know by any chance if there is a VBA command for "Create a task with attachment" ?

 

Cheers,

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, John McTaggart said:

Thanks!  That is very useful. 

 

The one thing I omitted in my original message was that I had already created a macro to have the task automatically assigned to a particular person and wanted to combine that macro with one that included the features described above so that I have a one step button/shortcut to do the above 3 tasks AND automatically assign the task to someone. 

 

Would you know by any chance if there is a VBA command for "Create a task with attachment" ?

 

Cheers,

John

I've actually figured it out on my own (BTW there is no VBA command for "Create a task with attachment" so I had to code it myself)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...