Macro Express Forums

Macro to toggle show/hide windows

I have macros that display several text boxes simultaneously on the screen and use two separate hotkey macros to show and hide them. I'd like to be able to instead just use one hotkey that would determine whether the windows are visible and then hide them, or make them visible when they are hidden, but I cannot find a way to do this. The closest command I can find that would help with this task is "If Window is focused", but the text boxes that I am using aren't meant to grab focus unless I specifically click on them. Is there a way to achieve this 'toggle' macro that I am wanting to create?

Interesting problem.

I don't know of a way, using only Macro Express, to test whether a window is hidden or not. And if that's the situation, there may not be a way, at least not a straightforward way, to script a macro that hides windows that are showing, and shows windows that are hidden.

Consider making a feature request: add more functionality to the "If Window" dialog:

Current options:

If Window is Focused

If Window is Running (Visible or Hidden)

Requested options:

If Window is Focused

If Window is Running (Visible or Hidden)

If Window is Running and Visible

If Window is Running and Hidden

16 hours ago, Bruce Thomson said:

I'll ask a dumb question...
Why don't you simply use Alt-Tab to see and click the window to be activated.
I would have thought that that would be even faster than invoking a macro.

I'm trying to hide and show several windows at the same time. Plus, alt-tabbing and picking the correct window would probably end up being more keystrokes even if I just needed to access one window.

14 hours ago, acantor said:

Consider making a feature request: add more functionality to the "If Window" dialog:

Will do