Macro Express Forums

Macro Express Editor Finding Missing Keyboard Keystrokes.

Macro Express Editor finding missing keyboard keystrokes for "Home, End, Backspace and other cursor movements.  I just downloaded the current version of Macro Express. Many keyboard commands are not listed. A previous version displayed the on the bottom of the editor. Where are they?

The panel that contains those keystrokes might have shrunk. To restore the panel, drag the vertical border above the row of function keys upwards:

image.png.78ccbd9b4b4dc9bccfa1a111f7cb4965.png

PS: You don't need to choose the keystrokes from a list. You can type them. Here are a few examples:

<SHIFT>
<HOME>
<ARROW RIGHT>
<DELETE>
<ENTER>
<CTRLD>
<CTRLU>
<CONTROL>

• Like 1

Good suggestion. I couldn't figure out if he was talking about the TextType editor or not. It wouldn't have occurred to me that it was sized down. 

Cliff if that doesn't solve your problem I suggest sharing a screen shot of what you are referring to. 

Problem Identified by trial and error. The missing keystroke commands were finally found. to display them the user must click on "Toggle The Direct Editor" button located between the left and right windows.

As a result of the problem described previously, another mystery has emerged in the process of renaming either a file or folder. The user can no longer just select the name and just delete it, the type in the new or changed name.

In this newer version the user must go to the all commands menu an select the Files/Folders category.  From there the user must select either the "Rename Files/Files or Rename Folders.

At this point a window will appear wanting the user to specify the path to the file or folder to be changed. For some strange reason the user must enter a new second path.  Take it at face value it implies that this command will rename the file and then move it to a new location. I cannot imagine a situation that a user would ever intend to rename a file and want to move to another location. unless it not performing a move, but is actually marking a copy to be placed in the second location the user specify.  To complicate the situation even more. I know of no occasions that file  or folder is not already displayed and chosen in the file explorer the users selecting the file by the mouse click on the file being worked on.

The purpose of the mouse click is to direct the PC focus on the specific file location.  At any  point  in time the PC automatically knows the location of file put in focus by the mouse clicks. There should be no need to copy and paste the location redundantly and manually. This is just bizarre. Tnx 

13 hours ago, Cliff S said:

The missing keystroke commands were finally found. to display them the user must click on "Toggle The Direct Editor" button located between the left and right windows.

I've been using Macro Express since around 1998, and never before noticed that button!

13 hours ago, Cliff S said:

I cannot imagine a situation that a user would ever intend to rename a file and want to move to another location.

Normally I would move and rename as two different operations, but it's convenient to be able to do both at once. The people at Insight Software are responsive to user needs, so why not request a simple rename feature?

Agreed the Macro Express way is inconvenient if all one wants to do is rename a single file. But the idea behind writing macros is that you set it up once, and then invoke the macro dozens or hundreds or thousands of time. A small pain for a big gain.