Macro Express Forums

ME not responding

My company updated my version of ME last night (on Win 10 Pro).

Now, the ME icon appears in the tray.  Left-clicking on it does nothing - no editor window, nothing.  Right-clicking on it does lead to the usual context menu - but no ability to load the editor, and none of the hotkeys respond at all.

Closing the application (using the Task Manager) and then restarting from the Start menu does put the icon back into the tray - but with the same behavior.

Anyone else experienced this, or even better figure out how to fix it?

Thanks.

If uninstalling and reinstalling Macro Express doesn't solve the problem, I suggest contacting Insight Software.

But first, see if you can create a new macro file. Perhaps there's a problem with the existing one. Or try opening one of the older backup .mex files that Macro Express automatically generates.

I don't remember the details, but I believe there is an option in the startup or the installation (or both) to prevent you from using the Editor.  I once had 350 users running pre-packaged macros, and the last thing I wanted them to do was play in the Editor.  ME was started via a .bat file when the PC was booted, and if I recall correctly, there was a command-line option. 

If you have the software and the Windows rights to install it, you should be able to override whatever the admin people did. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure how to create a new macro file when the ME interface does not respond at all.  I can copy or edit a text file but there's no way to get ME to respond.  I did download a sample macro and double-clicking it does get it to run, but not sure what to do next.

rberq, that is a great thought, I could have thought of that too.  I wouldn't put it past my IT folks to do something like that.  I am not allowed to install software but they might have let the program start without loading any of the older macros so I will check that.  Thank you.

I did download a sample macro and double-clicking it does get it to run, but not sure what to do next.

If you kill all of the Macro Express processes via the Task Manager, and then double-click the sample macro file, the macro file will load, and it should be the only macro file that is available.

Are you able to open the Editor when the sample macro file is the only running macro file?