Macro Express Forums

What Are The 215 Changes In Registry That Me Makes

jamesme

I need to be sure that Macro Express will not degrade the performance of, or impair the functionality of other applications I have installed.

I saved my Windows registry before installing the trial version of Macro Express. Then did the install. Then saved the registry again. I used Beyond Compare (www.scootersoftware.com) to compare the registry before and after and it showed up 215 sections different. Exactly what changes does Macro Express make to the Registry? I need to know to see if this might affect other applications.

I am surprised to hear there are 215 changes to the registry as a result of installing Macro Express. I would not be surprised if there were 215 changes to the registry after Macro Express runs for the first time. All of the Macro Express preferences are saved in the registry.

We have taken great care to ensure that registry entries used by Macro Express do not "degrade the performance of, or impair the functionality of other applications."

Beyond Compare is a great utilitity that I include in my 'must-have' list of software. I don't use it every day, but when I do it saves me an enormous amount of time.

I had not thought about using Beyond Compare with the Windows Registry. Do you export the registry before your comparison or do you compare the registry files directly?

Do you export the registry before your comparison or do you compare the registry files directly?

How I arrived at the 215 figure:

1) I ran regedit. Selected 'Export' to save the entire registry as a .reg file

2) Then I installed Macro Express trial version for the first time.

3) Then I ran regedit again and selected 'Export' to save the entire registry as a different .reg file

4) I took both files and compared them in Beyond Compare, which said "215 sections changed". I have briefly looked at the changes. I do not know what they mean - only a Macro Express developer would know.

What's important to me is that Macro Express registry entries do not interfere negatively with the functionality or performance of other applications.

I have seen problems in the past with other applications that make registry entries.

I am very impressed with Macro Express after evaluating it. It does most of the things I want to do. I sincerely hope that there are no issues.