Macro Express Forums

How Do I Set Up Me On Server And Run It Remotely?

thuerbo

Hello,

I need some advise on how to set up a macro the best way. I, like a lot of other people, have trouble running a macro through remote desktop.

It stops or is not executed correctly.

Will I be able to run a macro correctly, if I record the macro directly on the server instead of recording through the remote desktop?

If yes, how do I then activate the macro remotely? Can I activate it through remote desktop and will I be able to switch away from the remote desktop window and work on my local desktop without interrupting the running macro?

Will the use of Citrix or VNC help me?

It is necessary to be log on to the server for activating and running the macro or can I schedule the macro so I do not need to be log on the server through remote desktop?

To cut the long story short, I would like to know how I activate a recorded macro on a server from my local computer the easiest way?

Please help! :unsure:

It is necessary to be log on to the server for activating and running the macro or can I schedule the macro so I do not need to be log on the server through remote desktop?
When a macro is running, Macro Express sends keystrokes and mouse events to Windows and Windows sends them to the application that has focus. When you minimize a remote session or if you disconnect it, Windows stops sending the keystrokes and mouse events to the application. The macro continues to run but Windows discards the keystrokes and mouse events.

Will I be able to run a macro correctly, if I record the macro directly on the server instead of recording through the remote desktop?
No. It doesn't matter how the macro is created.

There is a work-around. If you can use Window Controls to send text and mouse clicks, the macro will continue to run when the Remote Desktop Connection is minimized or even disconnected.

I created a macro that demonstrates how this works. It requires a Remote Desktop Connection and uses Notepad. You can download the macro here:

SampleRDC.mex

Maybe not the best way... but....

I have ME on 4 other computers. I connect to these computers via NetMeeting and on each of these I select "Share Desktop" and "Allow Control". Basically, opens up a window on MY terminal that I can control all 4 computers from there. When I run the macro, I minimize the shared window. To view its progress, I maximize the window (but keep the mouse out of the window pane so as not to interrupt the macro running). Works fantastic for me.

I have setup several macros on a server and connect using vnc and all the macros work with no issue. These same macros would not work using terminal services. VNC allow your to take control of the console - similar to using PC Anywhere. The server has a 30 minute timout for inactivity so I had to create a macro that pressed a key every 30 minutes.

All of this works beautifully.

Hope this helps.