Macro Express Forums

Variable delay?

Coming from a Corsair keyboard Macro, which was so very terrible, I've decided to give Macro Express Pro a try.

The software looks amazing in-terms of available functions, though I was not able to find a variable delay function, such as with the venerable iCue software, which offers that of a; ##/ms to ##ms

With that said, is there a way to replicate this feature in Macro Express, or perhaps, it already exists? 
I did find an 'Insert Variable' function under the 'Insert Delay' option, though I'm thinking this is not the same thing, as much as it is a programming variable?

Any help is appreciated.

PS. if Macro Express doesn't offer this feature, that's okay too, as I am just testing it out, though I would love to know if there is a macro software out there that offers such a feature

I'm not familiar with the iCue variable delay, but this is the Delay command in Macro Express.  Notice that you can explicitly code the duration of the delay, or you can specify the duration in a variable.  The variable can have an expllcit value as well, or you can set it to a random value.

Delay.jpg

34 minutes ago, rberq said:

I'm not familiar with the iCue variable delay, but this is the Delay command in Macro Express.  Notice that you can explicitly code the duration of the delay, or you can specify the duration in a variable.  The variable can have an expllcit value as well, or you can set it to a random value.

Hi and thanks so much for answering!

Though I did see the customizable delay field, as well as the variable command attached to it, I was not able to determine whether these options could accomplish a min/max delay variable as with the iCue software.  Sorry if my choice of terms are confusing, which are likely misleading in this case, and so to help demonstrate, I will attach a screenshot from the Corsair iCue software to illustrate what this looks like;

Delay; anywhere between [80ms] and [450ms]

Following this, the macro will pick a random value between the set limits each time the script runs.

- hope this helps, and thanks again for taking the time to answer, your input is most welcome! 

iCue_variable_delay.jpg

1 hour ago, Cory said:

Variable Set Integer > Set to Random Value. 

This woudl be a command before in which you would set the minimum and maximum. 

Hi and thanks for sharing, as this addresses my initial question regarding the function.

That said, I can't seem to figure out how to implement this in an actual macro - I'm guessing this has to do with the use of integers?

Whatever the case, here's where I'm at, though I can't seem to get it to randomize the delay?

variable_delay.jpg

Edited by JohnBee
Updated for clarity

Interesting. Maybe report that as a possible bug/suggestion. When doing an numeric delay like this one would want the default value overwritten. Though it is pretty obvious and easy to correct. 

7 hours ago, Cory said:

Interesting. Maybe report that as a possible bug/suggestion. When doing an numeric delay like this one would want the default value overwritten. Though it is pretty obvious and easy to correct. 

Will do, overall not a major issue, though a potential cause for frustration no doubt.

With that said and unfortunately, it would appear that the random delay function stopped working after shutting-down and restarted it Macro Express.

No sure what changed, though what was initially working no longer seems to be working.

To help narrow things down, I have since removed the delay functions, and found the script running as intended, which seems very strange.

Will need to take a closer look at the command to see if I can figure it out.

8 hours ago, Cory said:

I don't understand. Why don't you think it's working? Please show your variable and delay commands again. 

Hi, sorry about the confusion. 

After a bit of digging, I determined that the issue was that of not saving the macro between changes.

This lead to confusion, as my tweaks and changes were not saved, which lead to me loading a none working macro as a result.

That said, everything seems to be working as intended now that I have properly shut down the app and saved my file properly :)