Macro Express Forums

Removing part or parts of a filename

Gawwad

If I have a list of files that go something like this:

1 xxx aaaaa

2 xxx bbbbb

3 xxx cccccc

How would I make a macro to remove the numbers infront of the filename?

It's really annoying to do by hand when converting a load of my CDs to my computer and iPod...

Basic of the basics, do this:

Text Type: <CONTROL>a
Clipboard Copy
Variable Set String %T1% from Clipboard
Variable Modify String: Delete Part of %T1%
Text Type: %T1%

<TEXTTYPE:<CONTROL>a><CLIPC><TVAR2:01:03:><TMVAR2:11:01:00:001:002:><TEXTTYPE:%T1%>

Of course, depending on how the list is accessed (example in a program menu list vs. a list in a .txt or .doc file), you'll need to

add various other commands to make sure you get each line separately, but essentially, this is what you're looking for.

EDIT

Here is a real-world example of a macro I built to rename the files of a book on CD that I ripped in order to listen to it on my

SanDisk player. (Note: this macro is a lot shorter without all the Remarks)

// First, I make sure the top file is highlighted (I do this manually rather than using the macro)
// Repeat until all files have been renamed.
Repeat Until %T1% <> %T1%
 // Alt+f opens the File menu.  M opens the Rename window:
 Text Type: <ALT>fm<ENTER>
 Clipboard Empty
 Clipboard Copy
 // This book uses the - (hyphen) character to separate the Title, author, etc.from the track number.
 // If there is no hyphen, then I've reached the bottom of the list (an Icon file).
 // So if there is no hyphen, the macro can end.
 If Variable %T1% does not contain " -"
Break
 End If
 // I want to keep the track information, but don't want all the rest of it.
 Variable Set Integer %N1% from Position of Text in Variable %T1%
 Variable Modify String: Trim %T1%
 // Now I'm going to compare this track to the last track processed (saved in %T2%)
 // If this is the first run, then %T2% is blank.  However, if T1 = T2, I know I have 
 // already done this track, so either the macro failed, or I'm at the end.
 If Variable %T1% = variable %T2%
Break
 End If
 // Now I want to clear the track name, and put in my own track title that I'll be able to 
 // read on the tiny Sansa screen.
 Text Type: <DELETE>
 Text Type: WS Disk 01 - %T1%
 // And finally, I <ENTER> to save the new track name, 
 // and arrow down to the next item in the list.
 Text Type: <ENTER><ARROW DOWN>
 // Now I set T2 to T1 (as explained above).
 Variable Set String %T2% "%T1%"
Repeat End

<REM2:First, I make sure the top file is highlighted (I do this manually rather than using the macro)><REM2:Repeat until all files have been renamed.><REP3:08:000002:000001:0001:1:01:T1><REM2:Alt+f opens the File menu.  M opens the Rename window:><TEXTTYPE:<ALT>fm<ENTER>><CLIPE><CLIPC><TVAR2:01:03:><REM2:This book uses the - (hyphen) character to separate the Title, author, etc.from the track number.><REM2:If there is no hyphen, then I've reached the bottom of the list (an Icon file).><REM2:So if there is no hyphen, the macro can end.><IFVAR2:1:01:8: -><BREAK><ENDIF><REM2:I want to keep the track information, but don't want all the rest of it.><IVAR2:01:13:1:-><TMVAR2:11:01:00:001:N01:><TMVAR2:01:01:00:000:000:><REM2:Now I'm going to compare this track to the last track processed (saved in %T2%)><REM2:If this is the first run, then %T2% is blank.  However, if T1 = T2, I know I have ><REM2:already done this track, so either the macro failed, or I'm at the end.><IFVAR2:4:01:1:T2><BREAK><ENDIF><REM2:Now I want to clear the track name, and put in my own track title that I'll be able to ><REM2:read on the tiny Sansa screen.><TEXTTYPE:<DELETE>><TEXTTYPE:WS Disk 01 - %T1%><REM2:And finally, I <ENTER> to save the new track name, ><REM2:and arrow down to the next item in the list.><TEXTTYPE:<ENTER><ARROW DOWN>><REM2:Now I set T2 to T1 (as explained above).><TVAR2:02:01:%T1%><ENDREP>

This macro may be a little buggy, I never actually used it (turns out the copy of the disk I have is faulty, so I wasn't ever able to

listen to it (it's a manufactured original CD, not a burned copy), but you should be able to get a picture of how you can use this

method to alter your own tracks or other lists.

Without the Remarks it looks like this:

Repeat Until %T1% <> %T1%
 Text Type: <ALT>fm<ENTER>
 Clipboard Empty
 Clipboard Copy
 If Variable %T1% does not contain " -"
Break
 End If
 Variable Set Integer %N1% from Position of Text in Variable %T1%
 Variable Modify String: Trim %T1%
 If Variable %T1% = variable %T2%
Break
 End If
 Text Type: <DELETE>
 Text Type: WS Disk 01 - %T1%
 Text Type: <ENTER><ARROW DOWN>
 Variable Set String %T2% "%T1%"
Repeat End

<REP3:08:000002:000001:0001:1:01:T1><TEXTTYPE:<ALT>fm<ENTER>><CLIPE><CLIPC><TVAR2:01:03:><IFVAR2:1:01:8: -><BREAK><ENDIF><IVAR2:01:13:1:-><TMVAR2:11:01:00:001:N01:><TMVAR2:01:01:00:000:000:><IFVAR2:4:01:1:T2><BREAK><ENDIF><TEXTTYPE:<DELETE>><TEXTTYPE:WS Disk 01 - %T1%><TEXTTYPE:<ENTER><ARROW DOWN>><TVAR2:02:01:%T1%><ENDREP>