Macro Express Forums

Updating multiple websites in Macros Express itself 3.5.5.2

suns11111

Hello. I have several macros that need their websites updated (for several users). Is there a simple Find Replace method? I have tried outputting the macros in a text file, but would not work. Is there another way that is easier instead of manually doing this on many users?

Many thanks!

JeffS

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. You have macros containing URLs that need to be changed to other URLs? The macros are all in one PC, all in one Macro File?

ME is lacking in global replace and ME3 is lacking Replace within a macro file. I'm guessing you would have to write a macro to:

Select each of the affected macros in turn (Find in Macro Explorer using macro name)

Open in the Direct Editor (context menu or Macro menu)

Edit/Search and Replace once in the Direct Editor

Close - go to next macro

Hopefully someone will post a better method. Did you search the Forum?

You could put all the affected macro names in a text file and Text File Process to work through the list (in conjunction with Find).

(edit) There are other ways of handling changing data, by storing in an ini file for example and calling up the URL into a text variable when the macro runs. Ini files are plain text so are easy to edit directly. May be a better route than muddling along with what you currently do if this is an ongoing issue.

Edited by JohnS

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. You have macros containing URLs that need to be changed to other URLs? The macros are all in one PC, all in one Macro File?

ME is lacking in global replace and ME3 is lacking Replace within a macro file. I'm guessing you would have to write a macro to:

Select each of the affected macros in turn (Find in Macro Explorer using macro name)

Open in the Direct Editor (context menu or Macro menu)

Edit/Search and Replace once in the Direct Editor

Close - go to next macro

Hopefully someone will post a better method. Did you search the Forum?

You could put all the affected macro names in a text file and Text File Process to work through the list (in conjunction with Find).

(edit) There are other ways of handling changing data, by storing in an ini file for example and calling up the URL into a text variable when the macro runs. Ini files are plain text so are easy to edit directly. May be a better route than muddling along with what you currently do if this is an ongoing issue.

John-

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I searched the forum and google, but no luck.

The Direct Editor does appear to be the way to go. May be a longer process than I was hoping (# of users).

Thanks!

JeffS

I recently went through this exercise upgrading to the Pro version. All ME3 references had to be modified (I keep some of my files in the ME folder). Unfortunately the Pro version is different enough that the macro would need a complete re-write.

Can't help further since not many questions were answered. If it is an ongoing issue, heed my last words about storing URLs by other means.