Macro Express Forums

difference between two ways of programming control key?

margaret

Should there be any difference *whatsoever* in performance between these two ways pf programming a keyboard shortcut in which you hold down the Control key:

1. Use the Keyboard section to insert the Control keypresses, so you have Control Down and Control Up as separate steps with TextType in between them for the letter key (three separate steps)

2. Use the Text Type section and have Control Down, whatever letter key, and Control Up all on one line

?

Thanks.

I'm assuming that plain Ctrl+key does not work. Sometimes the down and up help. Sometimes separate steps help. There's no fixed rule, it depends on the PC behaviour. Trying to do too much at once can lead to problems.

You start off with the simple Ctrl+key. If that does not work, split the Ctrl into Up and Down. If that does not work split Text Type into logical parts. If that does not work add time delays between them.

I'm assuming that plain Ctrl+key does not work. Sometimes the down and up help. Sometimes separate steps help. There's no fixed rule, it depends on the PC behaviour. Trying to do too much at once can lead to problems.

You start off with the simple Ctrl+key. If that does not work, split the Ctrl into Up and Down. If that does not work split Text Type into logical parts. If that does not work add time delays between them.

No, they both work fine. I started a long time ago always to use down and up, based on someone's recommendation here, or maybe it's recommended in the book. So I stick with that, but I just was working on macros today and found that in a few older ones, I had used the Keyboard-three steps method, whereas in most of them I had used the TextType-oneline method. Just wondered if there should be any performance difference. I don't *think*( I've noticed any performance difference, but then again I'm not timing the macros and comparing the time. I don't do more than one keyboard shortcut combination per line though. I'm going to make them all the same method now for consistency.

Thanks,

Meg

I always do the (SHIFT / ALT / CNTRL) DOWN separate from the UP. I have the perception, rightly or wrongly, that separate commands are more reliable across a variety of PCs.

For what it's worth, I recently had to change a macro from using MOUSE LEFT CLICK, to using MOUSE LEFT BUTTON DOWN followed by MOUSE LEFT BUTTON UP, with keystroke delay of 30ms. For some reason, with the particular application the macro interacts with, the separate operations were much more reliable.