Macro Express Forums

Windows 11 Odd Happening

I just upgraded (downgraded???) to Windows 11.  Here’s an oddity.  I toggle my Bluetooth headset between connected/disconnected by going to the Bluetooth Devices page, click the three dots at the right to open the options list for that device, and click the option to connect or disconnect.  So I wrote a crude macro to get to the page and do the mouse clicks using specific screen coordinates.  See below.  When I do it manually, a single click on Connect or Disconnect works.  With the macro, it only works with two clicks.  Not a critical problem, but I’m curious if anybody knows what’s going on. 

ScreenCapture_5_14_2024_8_30_27.jpg

I'm glad I haven't downgraded to Windows 11. However, my laptop is more than four years old, so it might be approaching its best-before date!

Perhaps a 250 ms delay before the first of two clicks isn't long enough. Perhaps the first click gets swallowed.

Try reverting to one click, and increasing the delay to 1000 ms.

If that solves the problem, incrementally roll back the delay until you discover the threshold value.

1 hour ago, acantor said:

Perhaps a 250 ms delay before the first of two clicks isn't long enough. Perhaps the first click gets swallowed.

Try reverting to one click, and increasing the delay to 1000 ms.

It still requires two clicks (or a double-click) no matter the timings.

EXCEPT for a little piece of the macro I didn't show you previously, which closes the Devices screen. 

If I close the screen too soon, connect / disconnect fails even with the two clicks.  If I wait two or three seconds for the connection / disconnection to complete, THEN close the screen, the macro works pretty reliably.  Windows 11 is not to be hurried.  

ScreenCapture_5_14_2024_10_42_45.jpg

This thread is discouraging me even more than before about the prospect of switching to Windows 11. The transition from Windows 7 to 10 was painful. I'm glad I was able to skip Windows 8. 

Having witnessed the kinds of issues folks seem to experience with Windows 11, I am hoping to entirely bypass it. I'm hoping the next versions of Microsoft products will be more stable and less resource intensive, and that some newly-added layers of operational and visual complexity will be peeled back.

I've been musing recently that in earlier versions of Office, certain screen objects could be closed by pressing the Escape key. That's the way things have worked since the early 1990s. Now, the simplest key sequence I've found is this monstrosity:

Esc, F10, F10, F6, Ctrl+space, C.

(Thank goodness I've been able to automate this sequence with Macro Express!)