Macro Express Forums

Simple Macro Won't Run

bobtayl

I'm trying out MacroExpress, running Windows Vista. I created a simple text entry macro using the Quick Wizards to enter a 6 character password, and used a hot key combination to run it. When I use the hot keys to enter the password in the program that needs the password, nothing happens. When I open up Notepad and press the hot keys, my text is entered just fine. I've tried this macro as both Global and Program Specific, with no change. I also tried to turn on error logging, but nothing gets written to the log. Does anyone out there know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Here is one possibility, although I've only experienced this problem when the macro was activated from a pop-up menu rather than activated from a hotkey combination.

Perhaps the application has lost focus, so the text type macro is typing the text into a different window, including possibly a hidden window. Since it works correctly for you in notepad, this probably is not the problem, but it does not hurt to give this solution a try.

Edit your macro, so that before your text type command, do a 'window activate' and put in the window name of the application you want the password to be typed in.

You can also try adding the following diagnostic:

at the very end of the macro, do a 'variable set string' commandand set a variable to 'set variable to top most window title'. After that command, do a 'text box display'command to show you the value of that variable.

The diagnostic will 1) show you where macro express thinks it typed the text and 2) also gives you a confirmation that the macro really ran (e.g., in case you have a problem with your macro scope settings so that the hotkey does not even activate the macro when you are in your desired application).

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestions, and it appears that my hot key combination doesn't even run the macro when I use it in my program. It does run the macro, though, when I use it in Notepad or from the run command. I've tried my scope settings as both global and window specific, with the same result. I thought it might be something specific to the program, so I created another password entry macro for a different program, and it does the same thing there. Any ideas? Do you think it might be some arcane security setting in Vista that's keeping this from working? Thanks!

Make sure that you are using Macro Express v 3.7a. Several changes were made for Vista compatibility.

If you are still having trouble it may be caused by the way the program is written. Macro Express uses the Windows 'hooks' to monitor keystrokes and mouse events. Any program that uses the hooks can block other programs from also using them. Some programs do this to make their program more secure. Keyloggers, Trojans and other malware also use the hooks to do nasty stuff.

If this is the case then you may have some success using the Window Control commands.

Thanks, Kevin. I inserted a Get Control command at the beginning of the macro, and it now works, although I sometimes have to hit my hot key combination twice to get it to run. Is this because of the delay introduced when starting the Get Control utility? If so, is there any way to eliminate the delay? Thanks again! Great program that I'll definitely be purchasing. It has Workspace Macro Pro beat hands down.

I would try adding a delay in your macro. When macros are unreliable it usually is related to speed. Macro Express pumps things out to quickly. Experiment with small delays before and after the text. It is pretty typical to need a delay after an <ENTER> or <TAB>.