Macro Express Forums

Can an individual variable be restored instead of all?

iceman

Can individual variables be restored (e.g. from the registry via Read Registry String), instead of all (e.g. Variable Restore Text Variables), after they have been Saved (e.g. Variable Save Text Variables)?

Where are the variables stored when Saved (e.g. Variable Save Text Variables)?

I could not find sample text in the Registry or in the contents of any file on my hard drive. Here's the code I used in the attempt.

<TVAR2:01:01:WhereAreYouInHere><VARSR:01><VARSR:06>

This question comes in response to my post the other day (Passing text variable with forward slash via Command Line Parameters). My workaround uses T98, T99, and N99 to accomplish the goal. I have a scenario where I want to use the value in T98, but I end up overriding it trying to retain the forward slashes in the other variables. Today, I worked on modifying my workaround by adding saving and restoring T98, T99 via the clipboard.

Can individual variables be restored (e.g. from the registry via Read Registry String), instead of all (e.g. Variable Restore Text Variables), after they have been Saved (e.g. Variable Save Text Variables)?
Individual Variables cannot be restored using the Variable Restore Text Variables command.

Where are the variables stored when Saved (e.g. Variable Save Text Variables)?
The Variable Save Text Variables command stores variables in memory (RAM) (not in the registry, environment variable or a file). Variables passed via the /V command line parameter are also stored in memory.

You can save and later restore individual variables in an .INI file, an environment variable, a text file or in the Registry using these commands:

Variable Modify String: Save %T1% to INI File
Variable Set String %T1% from INI File

Variable Modify String: Save %T1% to Environment Variable
Variable Set String %T1% from Environment Variable

Variable Modify String: Save %T1% to Text File
Variable Set String %T1% from File: "T1"

Write Registry String: "SaveAVar"
Read Registry String: "SaveAVar"

Edited by kevin