Macro Express Forums

Macro Express Pro Extensions - An Idea

Macro Express is very good for many things. However, intuitive web application interaction is not one of them.

As I continue teaching M/E to others here at Save the Children, the web application functionality gap is making our macros more complex, brittle, lengthy, and maintenance intensive. We use a lot of web apps, and I don't want our staff to feel overwhelmed trying to use M/E.

To prevent it becoming a large issue, I've considered blending Macro Express and JavaScript in an in-house web apps extension library. The more I think about it though, a hybrid web apps library seems like it would help all Macro Express users (increasingly so as web apps continue to proliferate). Building something in-house would help only us. What would y'all think about collaboratively creating a web interaction macro library for everyone's benefit?

A few macro ideas:

• An intuitive and robust cross-browser "wait for web page" macro...
  • Focus ID [%foo%]
  • Click to capture a DOM element and save it to [%bar%]
  • Focus element [%bar%]
  • Get text of element [%bar%]
  • Click element [%bar%]
  • Click [n] element in class[%baz%]
  • Get the values of all checked checkboxes on a page
  • Etc...

Cheers!

Adam

We welcome the idea of creating add-on function libraries for Macro Express Pro. We are even contemplating creating some ourselves.

The name 'Macro Express' is a registered trademark of Insight Software Solutions, Inc. Use of this name in another product requires permission. We recently received a request to use 'Macro Express' as part of a product with a name eerily similar to the one you propose. After careful consideration we suggested that the party choose a different name that does not infringe on our registered trademark.

We think it would be a great idea to have users create libraries for Macro Express Pro. However, we request that you choose a different name.

We invite anyone interested in developing add-on libraries for Macro Express Pro, either as Open Source or as a product for sale, to contact us for questions and advice.

Kevin,

Thank you. I hadn't really chosen a name yet. I'll keep that in mind.

If the libraries are built for Macro Express Pro, I assume it's okay to use the name in a description of what it is?

For example: "RandomName - A library of extension macros for Macro Express Protm."

We welcome the idea of creating add-on function libraries for Macro Express Pro. We are even contemplating creating some ourselves.

The name 'Macro Express' is a registered trademark of Insight Software Solutions, Inc. Use of this name in another product requires permission. We recently received a request to use 'Macro Express' as part of a product with a name eerily similar to the one you propose. After careful consideration we suggested that the party choose a different name that does not infringe on our registered trademark.

We think it would be a great idea to have users create libraries for Macro Express Pro. However, we request that you choose a different name.

We invite anyone interested in developing add-on libraries for Macro Express Pro, either as Open Source or as a product for sale, to contact us for questions and advice.

If the libraries are built for Macro Express Pro, I assume it's okay to use the name in a description of what it is?

For example: "RandomName - A library of extension macros for Macro Express Protm."

Yes, but it would look like this:

"RandomName - A library of extension macros for Macro Express® Pro."