Macro Express Forums

Auto Copy Macro?

Daik

There's a great add-on for Firefox called Auto Copy 1.0 that automatically copies to the Clipboard any text that the user has selected. I've really gotten used to this convenience and was wondering if there's a macro that would provide the same functionality in MS Word and Excel.

Thanks for any info.

I may be confused, but in my experience Ctrl+c works wonders for copying selected text to the clipboard. Unless you're saying that the mere act of highlighting text executes the copy function. If that is the case, then I would imagine you could build a macro that would do it, but not reliably.

Macros in Macro Express can be set to execute upon mouse-click, but the action occurs when the button is pressed, not when the button is released.

Macro Express Pro has settings that allow for the release of keys before activation, but not mouse-clicks.

So what you would end up having to do, based on my very brief study of the situation, is build a macro the does a "Mouse Down" followed by a delay for how-ever long you think it will take you to highlight text (you'll want to establish a longer-than average delay), and follow that with a "Mouse Up" and a "Clipboard Copy" command. I built one really quickly and it worked well enough. I'd rather use Ctrl+c

Or better yet, I would rather just use my mouse's extra buttons. I have one set to copy and the other to paste. Works beautifully and I never have to worry about screwing up my clipboard just because I clicked on something.

Unless you're saying that the mere act of highlighting text executes the copy function.

Yes, this is what I'm looking for.

Macros in Macro Express can be set to execute upon mouse-click....

I just made one like this and it works great. It pauses for 1.5 seconds after activation and then does a Copy to Clipboard.

Or better yet, I would rather just use my mouse's extra buttons. I have one set to copy and the other to paste.

This also works well. Now I need a mouse with more buttons. :)

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Another idea: Schedule a macro to run once every second, and all it does is Copy to Clipboard. If you have highlighted something, it should get copied to the clipboard almost immediately. If nothing on the screen is highlighted, then clipboard contents will not change.

If you don't want the auto-copy macro to run all the time, then write a second keystroke-activated macro to toggle it on and off (i.e. enabled and disabled).

Another idea: Schedule a macro to run once every second, and all it does is Copy to Clipboard.

Bob, this method is working very smoothly. I couldn't get it to run at first but then discovered that I needed to reduce the Preferences/Scheduler/Timer Interval to 1 second. Runs like a champ now. Thanks.