Macro Express Forums

Waiting for More Than One Event

This is related to a post in ME3 forum related to waiting for more than one event. I did not see much point in point in posting in that forum. Here's a crude method of having alternative "Wait For" states. I've used two key presses as it's easier to demonstrate. Because the time resolution is at least 1 sec per item, it's not very responsive. Keypresses work best by tapping the key. I'm not sure if anything like this has been posted - if it has here's a reminder. The ding is just to give an indication it's looping (change to your choice).

The macro loops ignoring errors and skipping the GoTo commands. When a key is pressed the macro jumps out of the loop to do the desired actions.

:start
Sound File: DING.WAV
Wait for Key Press: A
On Error
 Catch Error: The condition was not met within the specified amount of time
Goto:SKIP KEYPRESS A
 End Catch Error
End Error
Goto:WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO 1
:SKIP KEYPRESS A
Wait for Key Press: B
On Error
 Catch Error: The condition was not met within the specified amount of time
Goto:SKIP KEYPRESS B
 End Catch Error
End Error
Goto:WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO 2
:SKIP KEYPRESS B
Goto:start
:WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO 1
Text Box Display: Key Press A
Macro Stop
:WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO 2
Text Box Display: Key Press B
Macro Stop

<LABEL Name="start"/>
<SOUND FILE File="C:\\Program Files\\Macro Express Aux\\DING.WAV" Wait="FALSE" _PROMPT="0x0007"/>
<WAIT FOR KEY PRESS Key="A" Indefinite="FALSE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="1" _HANDLE="0x0014"/>
<ON ERROR/>
<CATCH ERROR Code="20"/>
<GOTO Name="SKIP KEYPRESS A"/>
<END CATCH ERROR/>
<END ERROR/>
<GOTO Name="WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO 1"/>
<LABEL Name="SKIP KEYPRESS A"/>
<WAIT FOR KEY PRESS Key="B" Indefinite="FALSE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="2" _HANDLE="0x0014"/>
<ON ERROR/>
<CATCH ERROR Code="20"/>
<GOTO Name="SKIP KEYPRESS B"/>
<END CATCH ERROR/>
<END ERROR/>
<GOTO Name="WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO 2"/>
<LABEL Name="SKIP KEYPRESS B"/>
<GOTO Name="start"/>
<LABEL Name="WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO 1"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Key Press A" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang1033{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>
<MACRO STOP/>
<LABEL Name="WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO 2"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Key Press B" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang1033{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>
<MACRO STOP/>

This is related to a post in ME3 forum related to waiting for more than one event. I did not see much point in point in posting in that forum. Here's a crude method of having alternative "Wait For" states. I've used two key presses as it's easier to demonstrate. Because the time resolution is at least 1 sec per item, it's not very responsive. Keypresses work best by tapping the key. I'm not sure if anything like this has been posted - if it has here's a reminder. The ding is just to give an indication it's looping (change to your choice).

The macro loops ignoring errors and skipping the GoTo commands. When a key is pressed the macro jumps out of the loop to do the desired actions.

See KeyPress macros for a similar technique, except that the desired key presses

are waited for all at the same time, instead of serially as in the example above.