Macro Express Forums

Can ME find a search box ?

NeVeR

When i have a task like this i normally just tab to the add and then enter the text, But in this case it would take 45 tabs before you hit the search box,, So i can't use it this time.

Is there a way for Macro Express to find a search box, There is only one on the page.

The was this macro works is this

You highlight an email address... then start the macro - the macro copies the email address and puts it in T1,

then the macro finds the search area and pastes whats in T1

then Enter is pressed,

It seams simple but I can't make it find the search box so far,

Any ideas ?

If the field you are trying to give focus to is on a web page, you might be able to do this:

1. Search for text on the page that is near the field.
  2. Cancel the search.
  3. Tab or Shift Tab as many times as necessary to reach your target.

E.g.,

Type: <CONTROL>f // Find on this page. <F3> works in Firefox, as well.

Type: Please enter your email // Choose the shortest unique word(s) near the target

Type: <ENTER> // Initiate the search

Type: <ESC> // Exit the search

Delay 200 ms // You may need a delay to allow focus to pass from the search box to the page

Type <TAB><TAB> // Tab to the target.

You may need additional delays between other steps.

In order to help you, we need details. The web page in question would be a good start!

I can't show you. It's a company internal tool.

If the field you are trying to give focus to is on a web page, you might be able to do this:

1. Search for text on the page that is near the field.
  2. Cancel the search.
  3. Tab or Shift Tab as many times as necessary to reach your target.

E.g.,

Type: <CONTROL>f // Find on this page. <F3> works in Firefox, as well.

Type: Please enter your email // Choose the shortest unique word(s) near the target

Type: <ENTER> // Initiate the search

Type: <ESC> // Exit the search

Delay 200 ms // You may need a delay to allow focus to pass from the search box to the page

Type <TAB><TAB> // Tab to the target.

You may need additional delays between other steps.

This is how i'm already doing it. It works. But it's slow and sometimes ME misses a command which means the macro doesn't work 100% of the time.

It's true that macros that search for text on a webpage, and then navigate to them via the user interface, are less than 100% reliable. But put enough effort into it, you may find that speed and reliability can be boosted. It's a matter of trial and error + creative problem-solving.

There are other search techniques that may be more or less reliable. I have developed many Macro Express scripts for webpages that search for specific colours. One of these macros performs 1000+ steps to deduce the location of the target, but because I am using the pixel colour at coordinate (X, Y) test instead of the move the mouse cursor to coordinate (X, Y), the entire testing process takes only a fraction of a second. It's also fairly reliable, as long as I don't mess with the configuration of the browser too much.