Macro Express Forums

Problem with MEX caching "run" commands

brad6499

Hello! I'm back with a new problem. I hope someone has seen this before and knows a (simple) workaround.

I am running specific macros that are called from another program when certain parameters are met (through the: [C:\Program Files\Macro Express3\MeProc.exe /A**MEX Name**] code). This program doesn't only send the "run" command once, it continues to send the "run" command until the parameters are no longer met. This is fine when the same macro is being called, but my problem arises when A DIFFERENT macro is called out while the first one is still running.

For example, lets say I am running Macro A because specified parameters in the other program were met for that to happen. In the middle of Macro A carrying out its tasks, the other program obtains new data (i.e. from a DDE link) and now new specified parameters are met, triggering the program to call out Macro B. Because Macro Express cannot run two macros at the same time, nothing happens to interrupt Macro A (which is fine.) Now let's say that after this happens, the other program's data changes so NO parameters are met to run any macros. Sometime thereafter, Macro A completes its tasks and ends, freeing up Macro Express. Now here's the issue: Even though the other program had STOPPED sending the "run Macro B" command much earlier - Macro Express automatically runs Macro B as soon as Macro A has completed. This has caused me a lot of headaches because if the parameters from the other program are no longer met, I can't have it running the macros late.

Is there some way to prevent this? I don't know how to use the registry functions and unless it is absolutely required, I really don't have the time to thoroughly pick that up. I'm hoping there's a setting somewhere in MEX to automatically clear out the "macro waiting" cache or simply prevent "stacking" MEX run commands indefinitely until MEX is freed up. Please help!

Thanks -- Brad

I am running specific macros that are called from another program when certain parameters are met (through the: [C:\Program Files\Macro Express3\MeProc.exe /A**MEX Name**] code). This program doesn't only send the "run" command once, it continues to send the "run" command until the parameters are no longer met. This is fine when the same macro is being called, but my problem arises when A DIFFERENT macro is called out while the first one is still running.

How does this other program run MeProc? Is this a program for which you can change the source code? Or is there a .bat file controlling these processes?

It's a program very similar to Excel that looks at a conditional "if/then" statement. If the statement becomes true, it has a feature to "run" an external program. In this case, I have it running C:\Program Files\Macro Express3\MeProc.exe /ACONSOLE, where "CONSOLE" is the name of my Macro Express Macro. If the statement in another cell becomes true that say launches C:\Program Files\Macro Express3\MeProc.exe /ATERMINAL while CONSOLE is still running, it won't do anything because MEX is not available - and this is perfectly okay. I just cannot have the TERMINAL macro run after CONSOLE completes unless the conditional formula for TERMINAL is still calling that macro.

Does that make sense?

"... there is not a way to prevent caching command line activations.

"

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Kevin means that MeProc.exe /A**MEX Name** is a command-line execution. These cannot be prevented from being cached.