Macro Express Forums

Launching The Macexp Editor Within A Macro

IceBox

Hi all. I am creating a macro and the first step I need is for the Macro Express editor to open. I used the code below which looks right to me, but it does not work. If the editor is already running, the macro activates it with no problem. But if it is not running, the macro will not run it. Any ideas? :huh:

If Window Title "Macro Express" is running
Activate Window: "Macro Express"
Else
Macro Run:  Run Macro Express Editor
End If

That does not work because the Macro Express Player also has a window named 'Macro Express'. The statement:

If Window Title "Macro Express" is running

will always be true.

You have two choices. Change the window title to "Macro Express -":

If Window Title "Macro Express -" is running
 Activate Window: "Macro Express -"
Else
 Macro Run:  Run Macro Express Editor
End If

Note that you need to activate the window "Macro Express -". Otherwise you may be activating the player's window which will seem to do nothing.

Or, replace everything with this:

Macro Run: Run Macro Express Editor

On my system the 'Activate Window' is unnecessary.

• 9 months later...

I am unable to get the Auto Correct macro to work. This is a macro submitted by a user and offered for download on the Macro Express web site. My problem seems to be with the first line in the macro: Run Macro Express Editor. It does not work on my system. I just uninstalled 3.5c and installed the new version, 3.5e, and it still does not work. If I press the hot key Ctrl + Alt + Shift + W, it does not work, either. Any idea why? I would love to use this macro, since it apparently makes it easy to create a lot of shortkey macros, one of the main reasons I bought Macro Express.

I should mention that I have been using Macro Express for over six months and have successfully written and used many other macros. My problem is limited to getting the system macro Run Macro Express Editor to work. I suppose if I cannot get it to work, I could try a work-around to open the Editor, but I would rather get it to work as it should.

BTW has anybody gotten this Auto Correct macro to work? I just tried disabling the first 3 lines, which have to do with opening the Editor, opening the Editor manually, and then running the rest of the macro, and it does not work. It must have worked once, because the author got a free T-shirt.

Maybe I should just write my own macro for creating shortkey macros! I have not used variables before, so I would have something to learn.

Seems like to ability to create shortkeys like Auto Correct in Word that work in many programs is one of the greatest values of Macro Express. An easy-to-use way to do it should come with the program--it would make it more appealing to users who are not programmers.

To determine why Ctrl+Alt+Shift+W does not launch the Macro Express Editor, you may want to check the activation for the Run Macro Express Editor system macro. The activation for system macros can be changed. If changed, you will need to send a different hotkey to launch the Macro Express Editor.