Macro Express Forums

Case Sensitivity based upon Second character??

jmazor

If someone knows how to accomplish this, that would be great. Otherwise, maybe the intrepid programmers can take this as a suggestion:

I know that we can use the Case Sensitivity setting for a given macro to enable the case of the first letter in a shortkey to control the case of the first letter of the resulting text, like this:

Shortkey: bnk

Result: bankruptcy

Shortkey: Bnk

Result: Bankruptcy

However, my entire shortkey library uses leading punctuation characters, so the actual shortkey is ".bnk" or ".Bnk". Obviously, that means that the first character is always a punctuation mark, and the first letter ameanable to upper and lower case is actually the second character. Also, I can't even consider changing the structure.

I know that I can make the entire shortkey case sensitive, but that would create too many potential versions of the shortkeys and be more trouble than its worth.

My solution has been to ignore case sensitivity and just add an "x" to the shortkeys. For example:

Shortkey: bnk

Result: bankruptcy

Shortkey: bnkx

Result: Bankruptcy

I was wondering if anyone had a better idea. Otherwise, maybe the feature could enable the user to chose to use the first OR the second character of a shortkey to control the case of the text?

my entire shortkey library uses leading punctuation characters, so the actual shortkey is ".bnk" or ".Bnk".

You could set the ShortKey Prefix key to . and remove . from the activation sequence. You would still type .bnk or .Bnk to activate the shortkey macro.

Kevin -

I should have thought of that.

But I have been using other punctuation for different groups of shortkeys (e.g., periods for most shortkeys, semicolons for shortkeys "written" by my case management system, commas for shortkeys corresponding to the names, emails, phones, etc. of people we frequently refer to), so it may not work out.

I hope that you will consider my suggestion.